Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Unbroken

Based on Cleve's comment here, I just finished reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is an excellent read; I could hardly put it down and accounted for more than one night that I stayed up later than is typical.

I will say that if I were to go through those experiences I'm quite sure the title would be Broken instead of Unbroken. It's an amazing true story of WWII POWs in the Pacific.

While I know Uncle Jay's SeaBees went in after the fighting to repair and build, it makes me again mindful of the Greatest Generation and all who gave up their lives at home during that time to serve.



5 comments:

clevekath said...

Glad you liked it. It is almost inconceivable what a human can endure, if necessary. WW I and II are too long-ago for memories for those of us who still live. But although all war is TERRIBLE, those wars (and Vietnam) make today's wars seem like child's-play in many ways.

clevekath said...

Glad you liked it. It is almost inconceivable what a human can endure, if necessary. WW I and II are too long-ago for memories for those of us who still live. But although all war is TERRIBLE, those wars (and Vietnam) make today's wars seem like child's-play in many ways.

Drake said...

His story would have been inspirational enough had it ended before the war even started. After every chapter I thought, "it can't get any worse than this". And then you start the next chapter and it's way worse.

rk2 said...

I think about the sacrifices of people "back home" during WWI and WWII. When I was teaching social studies during Desert Storm it was difficult to get the concept over to kids that we were at war since there was no daily impact on their lives because of it--no rationing of food, no one with family members gone, etc.

Drake, I totally agree with you. How could it get any worse? And then it did.

Shelley S said...

Wow! This sounds like a fascinating read. Definitely going on my list.