Friday, June 14, 2013

Last Book Report

Since I put all of Thad's other book reports on here I thought I'd share his last one of the year.  I had some people ask me if the teacher required them to do videos or if this was his choice.  At the beginning of the year she gave them a list of 20 different ways they could do their reports.  They could choose anything off of the list but they could not do the same project twice.  It contained things such as:  Poster boards, oral reports with a Powerpoint, a mobile containing characters and events from the book, a commercial to sell the book (Thad did this one), an interview with a character from the book (another one that he chose), you could do a classroom bulletin board about your book, create puppets of the characters, write a song about the book, and many more ideas.  They just had to let the teacher know a week in advance what they were planning to do so she could get them a rubric to make sure they had the correct things covered in their report.  Thad chose projects that he could make a movie of, because that's right up his alley.  Ben will be in this grade next year and I tend to think he will choose the dioramas, posters, and projects that require making something with his hands.  That's more his personality. 

For his last book report he had to read a mystery.  He chose HOOT by Carl Hiaasen.  And for his project he chose to write a song about the book.  I apologize for the bad audio on this.  He wrote the song to the tune of The Gated Community, which is a Veggie Tales song.  After he had the song written, we could not find an instrumental version of it for him to sing to.  I went ahead and wasted a half a day trying to figure out how to separate the lyrics from the music on the computer.  Finally I gave up on that and he just sang it over the Veggie Tales song with the music playing softly in the background.  Incidentally, he did get A's on each of his reports!


4 comments:

Mama Runner said...

What a great idea! I think I'll have Ethne do that next year, too.

rk2 said...

Love, love, love.

It's great there is the next generation of Klopfenstein readers!

Crystal Klopfenstein said...

So creative! I'd have to say he gets his creativity from you & Judy.

Ann said...

Great work, Thad. I agree with Crystal's comment also.