Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My New Job

I have just been hired as a Photography Instructor for Each One Teach One Literacy in Chicago. It is a non-profit that serves the Englewood community (Chicago's south side). These are at risk students with a 20% graduation rate and a 2% math literacy rate. I will be teaching 30 16-18 year olds that come from a restorative justice program. They are basically taking this class rather than jail or community service. My boss said Englewood is the "front lines" of Chicago and if I can make the program work here I can make it work anywhere.

This week I have been busy with my lesson plans. I have to write a 6-week curriculum from scratch. The students will start July 1st. I am excited and a little nervous. I really hope I can keep them under control. Any advice from teachers?

I am thinking about blogging about this at my personal blog. If you follow it you know that means I probably won't! Ha! But if you're interested it is pointedandshot.blogspot.com

Staci

6 comments:

rk2 said...

Sounds very exciting and perfect for you. I've been out of the classroom for quite awhile so I'm not sure I have good advice. I always thought kids knew if you liked them and respected them. If so, a teacher got that in return.

Drake said...

My wife Michelle's aunt Mary lives and works in Englewood at St. Benedict the African East. I know from her that it can be both challenging and rewarding. Good luck!

Ada said...

Sounds like a good opportunity for you to to help those kids. I think you will be able to form a bond with many of them as you are a non-judgemental and positive person. I hope it goes well.

Nog Blog said...

What a challenge, but exciting, too! You may be able to go far with this opportunity, taking the program about any direction you choose. There will undoubtedly be frustrations and days that wear you down, but remember that even if you can impact a few lives, it will be worth it. I'll be checking your blog for updates!

clevekath said...

Much good advice here. Yes, a challenge for you that I can relate to, having taught at-risk inner-city teens for 16 years. Be firm, smile, learn their names as fast as you can, have a sense of humor but let them know they are there to learn. As I read your post, my eyes got bigger and bigger with my heart pounding faster and harder. You will do well and will learn a lot yourself!
We'll be thinking of you!

Ann said...

Staci, this is a fantastic opportunity for you. I hope it goes well, and will follow on your blog.