Saturday, June 22, 2013

Dallas!

I had the great privilege this week of spending a few days in Dallas, TX with cousin Rhoda. She had told me recently that Ann was possibly going to visit her. Last week I got an email from her that said Ann was going to be there Tuesday thru Friday of this week. Whether that was an actual invitation or not, as is typical of me...my wheels started turning fast and I thought how fun it would be to be there with them. But I pushed the thoughts aside as too expensive and too late to plan it. Then I happened to see Ada, and I mentioned it to her. As is typical of her, she didn't right away say no, but was excited to at least think about it. By the next day, Ada and I had our tickets and in a few days we were flying off to Texas.  

Rhoda knew we were coming, but our plan was to surprise Ann. And we succeeded. She was indeed surprised when we popped out at the airport to greet her.

We had a tremendous few days at Rhoda's home and she and her friend, Renae, made us feel very welcome. We had the perfect mix of visiting, relaxing, sightseeing, and good food.

 
We had a few hours to wait for Ann's plane to arrive, so Rhoda, Ada and I visited the Ft. Worth Stockyards. We had a yummy lunch, did some browsing in the shops, watched the cowboys take the cattle down the streets of the stockyard's area, and Ada and I both sat on a real live bull. It was a good introduction to Texas!







We visited the 6th Floor Book Depository Museum, which was a highlight of past somber memories and also educational. We were able to get a good perspective of the site of the assassination of JFK. The first picture is the grassy knoll area and in the bottom picture the upper, far right corner window is the window from which Oswald made the fatal shot.

 
We also visited the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum. We enjoyed our walk-around
of this new building which featured President Bush's life and presidency, so affected by the 9/11 tragedy.


Renae and Rhoda's home was spacious and beautiful. If you look carefully you'll see them on their front porch. The four of us are in front of the porch for a posed picture.




                                     



We had a delicious and hearty meal at the Hard Eight BBQ restaurant. We had generous benefactors who had arranged to treat us to this unique dining experience. Thanks, Uncle Lynn and Aunt Mim!

 We spent our afternoons around the pool in the back yard. That was a pretty area, too, but we all voted for no pictures posted of us in or around the pool.

It was a great, quick visit and we all said we would do it again...with a little more advanced notice and planning so that more of you could join us!

Maybe the others will share some more photos and comments on our great few days together.

 

5 comments:

Nog Blog said...

The text and captions are a mess but I've fussed with it long enough and it's 11:30 pm so you'll have to look at it the way it is. How it looks in the draft is not always how it turns up on the post! Oh well, I had a great week with my cousins and aunt.

Ada said...

Yes, it was a great time with some of my nieces and I feel honored they invited me. We talked several times how fun it would be if we could get a Klop Girls outing at some relaxing place for a couple days. Keep that in mind for sometime in the future. A big THANK YOU to Rhoda for entertaining us.

rk2 said...

Of course, Judy (and Aunt Ada) was invited! It was great fun for me to have them here. My GPS Anastasia did a great job of getting us where we wanted to go until the final airport run when construction and lack of signage messed her and us up.

I think we should see some pictures of both of you on the bull. I think that was one of my highlights of the trip.

I'm game for a K Ladies get together!


clevekath said...

A great post, NogBlog, and thanks.
Extremely beautiful idea, trip, surprise, gorgeous home, food, pictures, Kennedy memorabilia, etc. I especially envy you all seeing Dallas' Grassy Knoll and Oswald's Conservatory Window and such. "Killing Kennedy" is a must read and it will bring back many of those memories of November 1963.

clevekath said...

A great post, NogBlog, and thanks.
Extremely beautiful idea, trip, surprise, gorgeous home, food, pictures, Kennedy memorabilia, etc. I especially envy you all seeing Dallas' Grassy Knoll and Oswald's Conservatory Window and such. "Killing Kennedy" is a must read and it will bring back many of those memories of November 1963.