Thursday, May 30, 2013

Yardwork

EDIT:  Oops, didn't realize Ada had posted her recent yardwork until after I posted this.
 
Here are some pictures of my recent yardwork.
This is the current look of my square foot garden. I added the trellis for the tomatoes and added the rabbit fencing. The local rabbits were starting to look at my garden as their personal smorgasbord. I had a very nice purple pepper forming and one morning it was totally gone.
 

The cherry tomato plant in the red pot has been in since early April but I now know it is a yellow tomato. I added a red cherry tomato to the garden because I think tomatoes are meant to be red. I just bought the yellow pot and replanted this rosemary. A neighbor has a large rosemary bush that anyone can come pick. I don't know a lot about herbs and didn't realize we had rosemary until I went to change out the planters shown below. I guess I'll learn what to do with rosemary. Feel free to add any suggestions in the comments!
 In the last couple of weeks we added the trellises. One has a clematis and the other a pink passion vine. I really like the metal wind device. We have so much wind and it's interesting to watch the blades turn in opposite directions.
 Over the weekend we added quite a few plants to add some color in the back. Most of the items were green, but I love the color of flowers. We put in a mixture of perennials and annuals--coneflower, yellow tickseed, zinnias, pentas, and salvia.
 This is the planter that had the rosemary shown above. I replaced the coconut planter liners and put in annuals.
 The front has 7 holly bushes and 6 other bushes. We took out 3 of the bushes and put in two hydrangea and a hibiscus to add color in the front. I'm sure the neighbors got a kick out of watching us early Monday morning when we hooked a toe strap to a bush and I pulled it out with my vehicle!
I have always loved yardwork and getting my hands in the dirt, but I'm realizing how therapeutic it is for me during this transition.

5 comments:

Ada said...

Looks like you have a beautiful home, garden, flowers etc. AND a pool! Too bad you're so far away. Hope you find a job soon.

Ann said...

It's beautiful!!

Nog Blog said...

You have the gardener's touch! Very nice home and beautiful landscaping and garden. Keep the pictures coming as the square foot garden progresses.

Drake said...

I'm pretty sure that after moving from Michigan to Texas you're going to have to switch from "smorgasbord" to "buffet"...

Perry said...

Rhoda, it all looks so inviting! Enjoy! ---Carol