Thursday, May 30, 2013

Starved Rock State Park


Dave and I took the day off Thursday on our 42nd wedding anniversary and drove up to Starved Rock. We wanted to do a little hiking. Well, OK, I wanted to do a little hiking. My wonderful husband is sport enough to go along with my crazy ideas.
Does this rock count as a mountain?

Reality check! Looks like I better lose about 50 pounds before even thinking about hiking the Appalachian Trail! As you can see, I was completely whupped climbing this trail of many stair steps. 

The weather was great, warm and breezy, but the trail was a little muddy in spots.

After hiking for almost 3 hours, we headed for Steak & Shake. (Objects in the picture are not as large as they appear!)
This is what we learned:

1. I did OK! (My foot held up pretty well.)

2. Dave did OK! (He actually enjoyed the hike.)

3. We did OK together! (No bickering, no bossiness on either side, we made good decisions, and we had a         lot of fun.)

We were both hot and tired and hungry when we were finished, but we had a great day and will definitely go back to try some of the other trails in the park. We have a lot of practicing to do before we try anything like the Appalachian Trail!

6 comments:

Ada said...

Sounds like the fun day even if you were a little out-of-shape. At least you ended the day with a healthy, low-cal dinner!

Drake said...

Nog - if you do the Appalachian trail so will I (I'll even lose the 50lbs also).

I've been wanting to do something like that after reading "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed about the Pacific Coast Trail.

Also need to figure out how to talk my spouse into that...

Perry said...

Oh, I would love to do the Pacific Coast Trail! But my spouse is not interested in hiking and I'm not in good enough shape. Sounds like a good idea for an anniversary celebration, Dave & Judy. Starved Rock is not so far. ---Carol

rk2 said...

Looks like a great day. Happy Anniversary! Is your birthday and anniversary the same day?

clevekath said...

Thanks for a few good chuckles! The nice pics and your narrative allowed us to fully enjoy the day with you.

Nog Blog said...

Drake - You're on! I've been talking about it for a few years. Dave has put up with my obsession, and now he is on board...now I think he's going to MAKE me go on that trail just to get me to shut up!