Thursday, April 11, 2013

Square Foot Gardening

This will be repeat for some of you, but I thought I'd share my latest project. As you know in MI I had a rather large garden (that got bigger the first 3-4 years I was there and then smaller every year after that), but there isn't much room in the backyard here. My friend and I still want to make our salsa and I like using my own tomatoes and peppers so I'm using the square foot gardening method here.

Here is my stash of items to build 2 4'x4' boxes. The box is 6" deep and the "soil" mix is equal parts peat moss, vermiculite, and compost.

An unconventional method to building the box, but it worked for me.

One box completed and placed.


Here are both boxes placed, filled with mix, and planted. I plan to put some beans in the remaining squares.
 
My BSF group gave me the square foot gardening book as a going away gift. I've really enjoyed reading it and putting this together. I'm looking forward to this different way of gardening and adding items to the various squares into the fall to keep having fresh veggies for a long time.
 
Has anyone else tried this? I'd love to how it worked for you.

5 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Years ago I had the book, but I never completely tried the system. It's a fun concept and we'll look forward to reports on how it works out. Mmmm, home grown tomatoes...can't wait!

Drake said...

How about some pics of the new house? We need a virtual tour. Is that a pool or hot tub in the second photo? Texas weather should be better for growing chiles to make that salsa spicier...send some of the hot stuff to me and Owen!

clevekath said...

We've never tried this, but it sure looks interesting. Keep us posted with updates. My solution to growing my own vegetables is to give lots and lots of praise to my neighbor's garden.

Ada said...

Glad you enjoy that gardening - but I'll take the grocery store!!

rk2 said...

Yes, I'll keep the pictures coming. I'll try to post some pics of the house later.
Drake, if you like really spicy you and Owen will be disappointed in our salsa.
Can't wait for the tomatoes to start coming in too!