Saturday, April 13, 2013


Here is a photo of one of my favorite scenes:  the beautiful rocky-bottom creek directly down the hill from our rear upper deck.  We often see a small herd of deer grazing on the grassy hillside during late evenings but they will scare easily and soon leap across the creek and into the woods.  One evening in January, we saw 9 deer grazing.  In this photo I was able to capture 5 of the 7 deer that were lazily grazing, yet nervous while seeing me.

Better yet, with most of you aware of my adolescent fetish of looking for arrowheads, I was overjoyed in September to have an 11-year-old guest, Levi Manz, of Latty, Ohio find a beautiful 2" spearhead in this creek -- about 50 yards downstream from my very own backyard.  Then, about 3 weeks later, on September 30, 2012, my own 3 grandboys were exploring the creek like they often love to do, and Carter, age 8, found a 1.5" spearpoint in the creek, directly behind our condo/home!  This creek has produced about 5 other arrowhead/spearpoints about 1 mile downstream, but never this close to home. Both local September finds are between 1,500 - 3,000 years old, minimum.   Hard to believe by many, but yet true.
If any of you would want to go "hunting" with me sometime, I'd love to take you to some good "hot spots" for some great outdoor exercise and scenery.




4 comments:

rk2 said...

What a great place you have for grandsons to explore! Do the deer come close enough to damage your yard? I will miss seeing the deer run behind the field at my friend's home in MI. In fact, about a week before moving I counted 30 deer in a herd running across the field occasionally stopping for whatever reason.

Nog Blog said...

Enjoyed the pics of the boys. They each have their own unique look, unlike many siblings. Does the youngest look a little like his Uncle Walt's boys? How fun for them to explore the creek and make such a great find!

clevekath said...

Yes, the boys are uniquely different in looks and personalities. The younger one, Cooper, no longer has the long straight hair, so I miss his no-longer looking like singer John Denver when he puts on my reading glasses. We entertained a lot of people with that look-alike feature.

Ada said...

Your boys are indeed handsome young men and I'm sure they love to come to your house and playing in the woods! They're at a great age right now - enjoy it.