Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Steffen Stuff

Just a quick update on what's been going on in the Steffen Household.  Not too much new and exciting (thank goodness).  Mostly just homework, practicing instruments, running kids around, and trying to keep up on the laundry.

We have had a few projects recently, mostly concerning Thad.  The annual Father-Son Cake Bake was held last night.  I've posted pictures of our cakes in the past so thought you would like to see what we did this year.  They found a really neat cake on Pinterest (actually I found a really neat cake on Pinterest).

 It didn't look too complicated, so I got them some supplies and they got started on it Monday night.  Unfortunately they ran into a little problem with the engineering of it and the whole cake collapsed down in a pile.  Thad was a good sport about it all, and they decided to go ahead and take it in anyway.  They named it "Father-Son Cake Bake Epic Fail".  They actually won 3rd place in the Yummiest Cake category and even got several votes in the People's Choice category!


He also finished up a book report that I thought I'd share too.  He was assigned to read a fantasy book.  He chose The Lightning Thief, which I didn't care for.  It is so hard to find good books for boys.  It seems they go straight from the booger and potty-talk books to the dark, scary, underworld books.  If anyone is a good writer and wants to find a niche, we could really use some good book series for preteen boys.  But enough about that... here's his report:


6 comments:

Perry said...

It looks like your boys had a lot of fun with this book report. I enjoyed watching the video---they are so "cute." (I know they probably wouldn't like that word.)
---Carol

Ada said...

I think it's so funny they took the "flooped" cake to the contest - and won a prize for it. I also watched the video, but couldn't get my sound to work - don't know what happened because I've always been able to get before. It appeared to be a very fun/interesting book report. What fun you must have with those boys!

rk2 said...

Oh how the book report made me laugh! All the boys were great in it. Also had to laugh at how book reports have changed in 40 years!!!

mim said...

The cake ought to get a prize for abstract art. I see a man with grey hair or else a head covered with snow. Also enjoyed the book report account!
And while i'm on the blog, Jerry and Ada, I love the brick trim. Have always enjoyed bricks in indoor decorating.

Crystal Klopfenstein said...

Very creative cake & video!

Ann said...

Great cake and great book report!! I may share it with the elementary teachers at our school!!