Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Texas

After what seems like months of moving I arrived in Little Elm, TX on Saturday about 5:30 CDT. The temp was in the 80s with lots of sun. Each day since has been sunny and in the 70s although the weekend could be "only" in the 50s. I'm loving it!!!

Before this trip though I enjoyed about 48 hours in central IL the previous week getting to see all of my aunts and uncles except for Uncle Keith and several other family members on this short trip. Beyond seeing family a highlight of the trip was seeing Klopfenstein's Office Supply Store in Pontiac. I had never seen it before and it was probably my first time in Pontiac since I was about 6 or so when Grandma took Mary and me there on an errand one day.

Last Thursday I picked up a 16' truck and had 3 friends help me load it. Thankfully all of the big stuff and furniture for my friend and me had been moved earlier so this trip was boxes and a lot of miscellaneous stuff. After loading I went back and had the car trailer loaded and put my vehicle on it. The next morning at 8:20 my friend from church Nancy and I drove off. We planned to meet a former co-worker in St. Louis for dinner so we had lots of time driving through Illinois. That made it possible to meet Judy for lunch at Avanti's. I think I kind of impressed her how I manipulated the truck and trailer through downtown! We made it to St. Robert, MO on Friday night about 8:00 and then were on the road about 8:00 the next morning. We were not in a rush either day as there was no need to get too tired and risk going too fast.

A truck driver at church had this advice for me: The deer are running this time of year so if one runs out Penske can fix the truck but you will lose control very easily with the car trailer attached and you can't always fix you so JUST HIT THE DEER. I was prepared to hit the deer but thankfully I never had to choose between swerving or hitting the deer.

I am so thankful that God provided many friends who helped with the actual move and for the many people who were praying for me on the road.

I am getting unpacked and settled. Pictures will follow at some point.

4 comments:

clevekath said...

Your Uncle Chuck H. was excited to tell me of your visit. Glad you saw no deer on the highways!! We're anxious to see some photos....

Ada said...

Glad you arrived safely. Will be waiting for some pictures.

Drake said...

Nothing like a good road trip. Enjoy the warm weather! Cold and windy here today with very light flurries.

We hit a deer on the way home from Mom & Dad's a year ago. Michelle was driving and she just plowed right through it. Afterward we were glad she didn't swerve at all...could have been much worse. Car was completely smashed but we were fine.

Nog Blog said...

It was great seeing you two weeks in a row! Too bad that won't happen again for awhile, but having been to Texas recently, we know right where you are. Good luck in the job hunt. Keep us posted!