Sunday, October 9, 2011

CLASS OF 1961

This weekend was a huge milestone in my life -- my 50th class reunion. Hard to believe that it has been 50 years since I graduated from good old Gridley High! Where did the time go - I can't possible be that old!!

On Friday we had dinner at Judy Baker Lampert's house. They live along the Mackinaw River across the road from Comlara Park. Beautiful setting in the timber beside a small pond. They also have a large shed where they served BBQ Beef, cheesy potatoes, salad, and pumpkin pie. Delicious.

In case you don't recognize these old people, it is Jerry and me. Where'd that white hair come from anyway?!? My classmate, Robert Cargill, contacted everyone earlier and got information and pictures to make the booklet in front of me on the table. It was fun to read later that night.


This is Hilde Martin Weisser and her husband George. She was my very best friend in high school, and we are still good friends although don't see each other often. They will be in Florida in January and we are looking forward to spending time with them there. Also in the picture is Kenny and Betty Downen Landrus.
Saturday night we were the honored class at the Gridley High School Alumni Banquet. I will identify everyone in the group picture for those of you who might remember some of these people.
BR: Orlan Miller, Jack Hoobler, Joann Freed Hoover, Robert Cargill, Judy Husemann Peifer, Brent Rutherford, Roger Stuckey, Pete Hany. FR: Linda Stoller Mardis, Kathy Quinn Van Hecke, Judy Baker Lampert, Ada Klopfenstein Christensen, Elverta (Kay) Meyer Berry, Betty Downen Landrus

Now really - I ask you - who is the youngest looking woman in the picture?

We've been busy the last couple weeks, but I'll try to get some more historical pictures posted this week.

7 comments:

Ann said...

YOU are - by far!!! :-)

Mim said...

No doubt about it, you are the youngest looking. Did you dye your hair gray so as to fit in with the rest of the classmates?

Cleve said...

First, you Ada, are the youngest looking. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures since I was an 8th grader when you were a Senior. I looked up to all of you and admired you all.
a few memories: Orlan (a confirmed batchelor who finally married my classmate valadictorian Carol). Jack Hoobler (point guard on basketball team who seldom shot), Robert Cargill (joined at the hip with Marg), Judy H. (wife of little Pfiefer),
smart Brent R. ( I thought he'd died!! but I had a crush on both of his pretty sisters. I guess it was a smart Hoobler boy who actually died), Roger Stuckey (super singer, known as "Old Man River" to me. Remember his rendition of that???). Pete Hany (a SHORT super athlete, brother of my good friend Tom), Kathy Quinn (super smart like her siblings), Judy Baker (short & fun), Ada (beautiful, fun, & now the trimmest of the class), Elverta M. (farm girl), Betty Downen (mature, looks like her Downen brothers, married Chenoa basketball hunk, Ken Landrus). You had a great turnout for the reunion!!!! Thanks again.

Cleve said...

I forgot to mention Linda Stoller (looks good, all things considered). And the picture taker, Hilda Martin (a friendly German, sister to my classmate Renate) Who were some who were not present this weekend?

Ada said...

I enjoyed our observations Cleve. You have a good memory.

Marge Kuerth did not attend the reunion. She has lived in Elgin for many years and is somewhat reclusive. Kenny Meliza was at the reunion at Judy's house - arrived at 9 pm and did not stay over for the banquet. He is a silversmith and lives in a wooded area south of Carbondale. His stories are quite interesting. Merle Funk is deceased. You would probably enjoy reading the "memory book" Bob and his wife made for us.

Alice said...

Of course, you are the best looking girl there. I bet the smartest too.
Wish you would post some pictures of the party you had for Jerry's class. You are just too busy!!!!
Oh to be young again.

Ada said...

Thanks for making me feel good with your compliments. :) Alice, I'll concede to Kathy who was always the brainy one in the class. It was a fun weekend.

We had someone come take pictures of Jerry's party and are waiting for her to send us a disk. Then I might post some here.