Monday, October 10, 2011

Pounding Stone

OK, I admit this isn't the most flattering picture from the trip, but we toured a granite quarry in Aswan. In ancient times they used basalt stone to chisel away at the quarry. Our leader picked up the basalt and started pounding the red granite. I piped up, "Wait a minute. Klopfenstein literally means pounding stone!" We had to take a few minutes to take several pictures of me pounding the granite. I was told to grimace as if I was working hard, but after this picture all I could do was laugh.


3 comments:

Ada said...

CUTE!! I'd call it sort of a laughing grimace! And a great way to honor your family history.

Shelley S said...

What a neat picture! I'd love to see more of your trip - keep them coming!

Nog Blog said...

Love the picture, Rhoda! And happy belated birthday!