Saturday, September 10, 2011

YELLOW BIRD

I awakened early this morning, was reading the paper and kept hearing bumps against the picture window in the dining room. I went to see what it was and noticed several little yellow birds playing in the Rose of Sharon bush. I got my camera and carefully tried to get some pictures. They never stayed in one place very long and by the time I got the camera focused and enlarged, they had moved. I did get a pretty good shot of this one. Isn't it cute? Anybody know what it is? I'll bet there were 8 or 10 of them flying back and forth between our two bushes.

A few days ago I noticed in the back yard there was a pair of small black birds with bright yellow on the head and slightly down on the back. Pretty birds - they were playing in the water coming out of the sump pump.

4 comments:

Cleve said...

A strong guess would be a yellow finch. They are pretty enough to be in a pet store - very bright yellow, small, and fast flyers. They love little black thistle seeds (easily found in stores) if you want to keep them coming.

Ann said...

Well, I'm no expert, but love to try to run down the identity of a bird. Kinda hard to tell from that one picture, but it definitely looks like a warbler of some sort. And there are a lot of varieties of them. Did all eight birds look the same? You could probably google "warblers" and identify them for sure. If you figure it out, or the identity of the other bird you saw, I'd like to know what they are.

Ann said...

Cleve, we had a lot of finches at our feeder last winter - the first time we'd seen them in the ten years at this house. They really are pretty birds.

Alice said...

We have a finch feeder and we get a lot of goldfinches. They are simply beautiful. We also get purple goldfinches. They go through a lot of thistle seeds.