Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Summer Project

It's not quite a new deck, but this was my summer project. During the hottest week of the summer, I spent two evenings at my friends' barn cutting these pieces. It's 1/2" pvc cut into 18", 12", and 6" pieces with lots and lots of Ts. These were my parts ready to assemble:


This is the finished product after assembly.


An engineer or designer would go ballistic at my design as each cage as 4-12" pieces, 16-6" pieces and 10-18" pieces with 20 Ts, but I got so tired of our wire cages falling over year after year as our tomatoes get so big that I wanted something with four sides that would be sturdy. I made a total of 8 cages.

This has not been a good year for tomatoes here, but we did have enough for a big batch of salsa.

8 comments:

Ada said...

Hey - you impressed me. You're very creative. You're so domestic and energetic. Enjoy your tomatoes.

I don't really like tomatoes OR salsa so I probably won't be trying to copy your design. Jerry loves tomatoes, but he has to settle for my pot of little tomatoes or grocery store tomatoes.

Nog Blog said...

Oh, somebody have mercy on Jerry and give him some yummy garden tomatoes! Cherry tomatoes or store-bought just will not do for a tomato-lover!

Ann said...

Impressive work!

Cherry tomatoes aren't the greatest, but grape tomatoes are wonderful!

Alicw said...

Keith was impressed with your tomato cages. He just has wire cages. The vines are so thick it is hard to find the tomatoes. They are very slow in ripening this year. But when they do ripen they are delicious!!!

Alice said...

I don't know how that w got in there.

rk2 said...

Our plants got very big but the leaves have turned brown and the plants are not very nice looking. Many tomatoes have fallen to the ground.

Oh well, we got enough for the salsa and I'm enjoying BTLs a few times.

And yes, someone get Jerry some good garden grown tomatoes!!!

Cleve said...

Rhoda's Uncle Chuck Hemmer told me once "I don't grow tomatoes anymore. If it's a good year for tomoatoes, the neighbors give me more tomatoes than I can even eat. If it's a bad year for tomatoes, nobody has any tomatoes anyway".
Pretty wise thinking!

Ada said...

FYI - Jerry's doing fine without homegrown tomatoes - never complains.