Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

It's been a very quiet Memorial Day Weekend so far in West Michigan. We are under a tornado watch until 8 p.m. or so which means everything gets cancelled so no church tonight. I spent the first part of the weekend helping my friends in their yard get ready for summer; I get to use the pool a lot during the summer so I try to help them in return for using their "toys". Tomorrow hopefully will be 9 holes of golf and then who knows.

While we haven't had family members who died in service to our country, I'm again thankful for Uncle Jay, others who won't list as I'm sure I wouldn't get everyone, and now Nick who are family who have served and are serving our country in the military.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend.

6 comments:

MLK said...

It was before your day, but both Cleve and Perry served in the army.
I don't think they were overseas, but not sure about Cleve.

MLK said...

And,of course, EJK (Grandpa Klopfenstein)whom most of you will not remember. He served in WWI and shortly after he got to France, the Armistice was signed and the war was ended. He died in March of 1960. I regret not asking him more about his experiences. I also remember being told that he became a Christian before the embarkment to France. Perry, do you have more info on his army service?

Ann said...

Mom - I thought Cleve was in Vietnam??

rk2 said...

Yes, I knew Cleve and Uncle Perry and Jason served in the Reserves I think. I was afraid if I started listing people I would miss some. Didn't Dave serve as well?

Ada said...

Also Jerry Wetzel is a veteral of Desert Storm.

We had a typical parade and celebration at the Gridley Cemetery today - good speaker, music by Living Waters and a larger than usual crowd. The playing of Taps always chokes me up. Jerry and I were the only Klops there.

Ann said...

Well thank you so much to all the veterans in the family!

I wish that towns in the south had bigger celebrations. There are usually ceremonies at the veterans' homes, or the American Legion halls, but town ceremonies are not as common here as in the midwest.