Saturday, March 26, 2011

And Here is My Version. . .

of Grandma's Special Beef Stew. Since we will be out of town tomorrow, my folks came over tonight for a birthday supper for Mom, and I decided to try the recipe that Ada posted. I thought about doing some things a little different, and almost bought V8 juice instead of tomato juice, but decided to make the real, authentic thing just like Grandma would have. And Dad vouched for it! Along with a loaf of homemade bread (so glad for a bread machine), a fruit salad, and brownies, it was the perfect menu for a cold, rainy, March evening.

6 comments:

Carol said...

It looks wonderful, Ann! I'll have to make some soon.

Carol said...

One thing I remember about Mother's stew---she would use home-made tomato juice. I remember growing tomatoes just for making the juice. The stew is good with store bought juice, but not as good as Mother's was with the home-made kind.

rk2 said...

Carol, that is good to know as I have one more jar of home-made tomato juice left. I will have to save it to try in the stew.

Ann, looks delicious.

Alice said...

Carol, I agree with you about the home canned tomato juice. Last summer was the first year I didn't can any and the different things I make that use tomato juice aren't near as good with store bought juice. Keith will have to do a better job with his tomato plants next summer.

Ada said...

Well, you guys can just do all your gardening, but I'm perfectly happy with canned everything! I don't like a sore back and dirty hands.

Glad you enjoyed your stew, Ann.

Nog Blog said...

Happy Birthday, Aunt Mim! What a year you've had...wishing you a relaxing and enjoyable year to come!