Sunday, February 27, 2011

GRANDMA'S SPECIAL BEEF STEW

Friday I bought a package of stew meat and made a roaster of Mother's special beef stew recipe. We will have the left-over this evening. This recipe is in the Klopfenstein Family Favorites book and if you haven't ever made it, I suggest you try it. It is SO easy and delicious. It is also in the original Klop recipe book which I still use ocassionally even though it is totally falling apart.

And just in case you don't have either book: here is the recipe - let me know how you like it.

approx. 2 lbs stew meat
1/2 cup tomato juice
3/4 - 1 cup water
1 T salt
2 T sugar
3 T tapioca
onions, carrots, potatoes and celery, cut in chunks - enough to fill your casserole (I use a small roasting pan). Mix all together and put in pan. Cover and bake at 250 for 4 hours (do not open in meantime). YUMMY!

I made bisquick biscuits to go with it - also yummy.

10 comments:

Ann said...

No seasoning except salt? I'll have to try that soon.

Ada said...

I also added pepper. That's about all the seasoning I ever use - S&P! That's how I was taught.

Maria said...

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try this for my family sometime. I love EASY, filling, healthy meals :)

Alice said...

I make it quite often. What's nice is there is always enough for the next day. It can be frozen too.

rk2 said...

Wish I would've seen this last year when I was looking for how to make beef stew. Count me in as one to try in the near future.

But I'd have to take issue with the Bisquick biscuits. You need Mom or Mary to tell you how to make the biscuits they do. They are good!

Ann said...

Another question - Do you serve it over rice? noodles? nothing?

Ada said...

Rhoda, bisquick biscuits are quick and easy and that's how I like to cook. I'm sure your mom's are much more delicious.

Ann, I just serve it as is - already has potatoes and carrots. Normally I'd make some kind of salad but I didn't the other night. Never thought of rice, but it would probably be good. It's already pretty calorie/carb heavy.

rk2 said...

Aunt Ada, fast and easy sounds great to me. I'm a Bisquick fan--especially for pancakes.

marym said...

And Bisquick now has a healthiER mix that doesn't have hydrogenated oils - I bought it once or twice and it was good.

Staci said...

Yum! Can this be made in the crock pot?