Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Another "Sick" Story

Not to overdo the "sick" stories, but I also had mono, in the 9th grade, about 12 years after Ada had it, and missed six weeks of school and was hospitalized over a week. (And no, I wasn't kissing anybody either.) Mary got it also and missed about five weeks. We stayed home together and kept each other company.

I remember very well getting a big box of gifts from Morton that I believe Aunt Alice engineered with her friends, and Mary and I opened one each day. There were all kinds of things that young girls would enjoy. One gift was from a lady named "Wilma Ward" and I thought she wrote her W's the most beautiful way, and tried to copy it. Sending that big box of gifts was a really nice gesture and I've always remembered it.

The Peoria Choir was in Alabama for their annual visit, with two huge over-the-road buses, and since Mary and I couldn't be a part of things, they came past our house on Sunday afternoon as they were leaving to go back to Illinois. All sixty or so piled out on our front yard and sang several songs. The neighbors didn't know what to think!

8 comments:

Drake said...

I guess I was lucky - I was kissing left and right and never got mono...maybe you guys should have tried that! JK

Ann said...

Ha ha - Maybe you're on to something there???!!!

Ada said...

ha ha - that's my son! I think he's joking because I'm sure he wasn't kissing in high school!!

Ann, I don't remember you girls having mono. At that I was "knee-deep" in babies and in my own little world. I had forgotten, but when you mentioned the box of gifts, I remembered that Mother's friends gave me a box and I could open one present each day. It was fun. Glad we all survived the mono ordeal.

Ada said...

error correction -- at that time I was . .

Staci said...

I also had mono in about 6th or 7th grade. I was never in the hospital, but I missed a lot of school. Sometimes I think I still have the effects - the extreme exhaustion that is!

rk2 said...

Guess who had to do ALL the work and help take care of the sickies while they were laying in bed getting waited on hand and foot??? : )

Ann said...

Mom.

rk2 said...

Obviously you were so sick you didn't realize who was bringing you all those drinks, your food, straightening your room, gently places covers over you, and everything else. : )