Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAYS GONE BY

Some of you may remember that in 1960, shortly after Dad died, I contacted mono and missed school for the entire month of April and was in the hospital for 19 days. (and no I did not catch this disease from kissing anyone) I saved all the cards I received, and this afternoon I was cleaning out a drawer and found the little sack of cards - so I've been reading them and getting a few chuckles. Of course everyone wanted me to get well soon, but I thought I'd share a few more interesting excerpts with you.

Return address on one envelope: L KLOPFENSTEIN, 4343 FRANKLIN AVE, WESTERN SPRGS ILL: Lynn is working to-day so it is an unusually quiet Saturday for us. Had hoped to rake the yard, but it is too cold for that. So we're taking it easy inside. Since Mark and Ann have had a taste of playing outdoors I can hardly keep them in - even when it is cold out. Mark is such fun to watch as he makes the wonderful discovery of all outdoors. He can't get into the sandbox because his legs are too short, so he falls into it to get where he wants. Then at other times he follows Ann like a little puppy! Ann is baking sand cakes most of the time when she is out. And she always brings them to be tasted.

One old lady friend of the family informed me that "I cleaned the basement and feel good that it is done."

From Aunt Aldine: This was such a pretty day - I raked the yard but I can't hardly move tonite I'm sore in the shoulders. We had a track meet after school here with Eureka. Jim runs high & low hurdle. He got 2nd in the Highs tonite.

From Uncle Joe: Dear Ada. I was to see you 2 times Thursday. I was up to see Della and to your room. I walked in to other side of your bed and you were sound asleep. I thought sleep was better than talk or visit. I then went down to Lorene, then after that I went up to your room again so you were still asleep. So I left wrote a note give it to nurse at desk to give you when you wake up. Maybe next time you will be awake. Our love and wish you a speedy recovery. Uncle Joes (that is so sweet, isn't it?)

A friend from school informed me that a poem I had written had been submitted along with four others into some kind of contest. (I guess I didn't win the contest as I never got a prize. I find it hard to believe that she entered my poem as I was never any good at poetry.)

It was really interesting to see who sent cards - many relatives, friends of my parents, and my friends - some of who sent several cards during my illness. It's good to be loved, isn't it?

6 comments:

marym said...

Aunt Ada - When I had mono in the 5th grade I'm pretty sure it was you who sent me the cutest little shorts outfit! Guess you remembered how it felt. I loved getting cards from people.

Our Haley continues to recover from her bout with mono/strep last fall. Would really appreciate prayers for her healing.

Thanks for sharing your cards/memories! Aren't you glad you saved them?

rk2 said...

I found these interesting to read as well.

Apparently Ann is such a good cook now because she started so early in life!

I was doing some cleaning yesterday and re-read Christmas cards from 2009.

Ann said...

I loved reading your memories. I'd love to read more of them - especially from people like Uncle Joe as I never really knew him. Would enjoy seeing such things from others as well.

Nog Blog said...

Ada, I remember visiting you once in the hospital. The nurse came in and gave you a shot in the rear, and you were real brave, I thought. I can picture it real clear. (Ha, ha.)

Ada said...

ha ha Judy! I'd forgotten about those painful shots - did you have to remind me?

Alice said...

I remember coming to visit you. You were really sick and could hardly swallow. I can still visualize the room you were in. I was pregnant at the time. It's almost unheard of today that someone would be in the hospital for that many days.