Sunday, December 19, 2010

CLOCK PROJECT

Here are a couple pictures of the clocks that Carol and Ann were referring to in the previous post. Jerry and I were able to get a board from my father's elevator and make several clocks from the wood. Jerry actually gets credit for cutting, staining, polishing and all other work on the clocks. We had a professional put the engraving on the front plaque. These clocks were made in memory of my father, EJK and the grain business he owned and operated for many years in Gridley.
This is a picture of a completed clock.
This is a picture of several clocks beside the unfinished board from the elevator.
We got the idea for doing this after the reunion last summer when many of us toured the elevator. At that time Jerry noticed a board leaning against one wall. This board had a large hook-lock hanging on it and we assume it was the original lock for closing the large sliding door on the east side of the elevator. He later went and asked John McKey if we could have that board. We also learned at that time that the elevator is expected to be razed in the next year or two.
Last Saturday, when several of us were at Perry's house for their annual Christmas dinner, we gave one of these clocks to Perry & Alice. We also mailed one to Lynn - so all my siblings have one. We have three more clocks and are willing to give them any grandchild who would appreciate it. I guess we will go on a first-come-first-served basis, so if you want one, please let us know. You can contact me here, or email me at adachristensen@yahoo.com.

3 comments:

Nog Blog said...

These are beautiful! I was picturing something that looked like the old board. What a neat idea, Jerry. I'd like to read the story you wrote. I'll wait to see who all speaks up to claim a clock. They certainly are special.

LynnK said...

Thank you Jerry and Ada for the absolutely unique remembrance of the Grain Company and The Elevator! You couldn't have put together a better combination in remembrance of the "olden days." (and they are olden!)

The clock signifying "time" and the wood--"the building" represent a story that will live long in the annals of EJK Family History. Jerry's creativity has nearly peaked in this project. It is a wonderful remembrance of an era that carries so many situations to remember.

My heartfelt thanks for your efforts in creating a such wonderful memorabilia
Lynn K.

rk2 said...

I just enlarged the picture to see you put "ILL" on the plate. I remember at the reunion 7 years ago or so I think Jerry queried everyone as to what was wrong on the pens we all got with Klopfenstein Grain Co. on them. The pens had "IL" on them, but at the time EJK owned the elevator two-letter state abbreviations weren't used.