Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ugly

On Saturday, we had a fun family adventure right here at home. Brandon suggested, since the pond was frozen over, that we go out and ice skate/let the kids play on the ice. Naturally I was reluctant, being the worried mother that I am, and all too able to picture someone falling through the thin ice! But Brandon assured me (after revealing that he had already been out there and cut several holes) that it was 5 inches thick and very safe. UGH!! Why does he take such chances without telling me?? Well, I know it's because if he told me I'd never let him do it. Anyway, we bundled up and set out, and it turned out to be a memorable time!


Brandon had fun skating while the kids and I slid around in our boots. Jesse could barely stay standing it was so slick! But the most excitement was when we were scouting around and saw what looked like a turtle under the ice. Brandon cut a hole in the ice and scooped him out....sure enough, a huge, nasty snapping turtle! I thought for sure he'd be dead. He was alive, just moving very slow. What a neat science lesson for the kids! We later researched and found out snapping turtles can hibernate underwater for up to 3 months. Amazing! Another awesome example of God's handiwork! We named him Ugly, and watched him for awhile without getting too close.




4 comments:

Ada said...

I agree, that turtle is an ugly thing - good name for it. Sounds like you all had a good day with an educational lesson. Looking forward to see you this weekend. Have a safe trip.

Carol said...

It sounds like Ugly got a rude awakening from his long winter's nap. :) In any case, it was a fun time of making special memories for the children. It would have been a shame to "waste" a frozen pond. We can hardly wait to see you all Thursday evening!

Nog Blog said...

What a nasty-looking creature. I say put him back under the ice...and look out while swimming next summer!

Maria said...

Judy, our pond is really gross and not good for swimming anyway. Once in awhile we'll take our little rowboat out in the summer. As for Ugly, Brandon "took care" of him. Some of our animal lover friends were sad when we told them that....but I would rather have one less snapping turtle around!