Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday

I have never done the Black Friday thing, and I usually think people who camp out in parking lots are just plain crazy. But this year I decided to give it a try. There were a few items in the Thanksgiving Day fliers that looked too good to pass up. So I left the house at 1:30 this morning and headed for Toys R Us, which opened at midnight. Apparently people had been standing in line since 10:30 to get in the store and all the sale items that I had on my list were already gone. So far I thought this Black Friday shopping was for the birds.

Next I headed over to Kohls and stood in line outside for about 45 minutes until the doors opened at 3:00am. I had only one thing to purchase there -- a media projector. They were very organized there which several people on the sidewalks making sure there were no 'butters' in the line, and also giving directions for once you got in the store. I found my projector quickly and walked right up to a register. It was normally $179.99 (which I never would have paid) but I was able to purchase it for $59.99. Things were looking better.

By this time the McDonalds had opened it's drive-thru and I swung through to get a Diet Coke. Hadn't had one in a long time, but I needed the caffeine to keep me going. Last stop of the morning was the dreaded Wal-Mart. Our camcorder quit working a few months ago and WalMart had a great deal on a camera. They had been open all night, but the cameras went on sale at 5:00. By this time it was about 3:45. All of the 5:00 sale items were in the middle of the aisles covered in black plastic. You had to sort of guess what was in each package, or ask the people already sitting in lawn chairs in the aisles. Finally found the camcorder area and there were about 8 other people 'camped' out there. You could tell from the display that there were only about 12-15 cameras. So I stood there waiting and hoping this was not a huge waste of time.

Around 4:30 a larger crowd was arriving and people were jockeying for position. Several police officers and store managers came to the area and the store manager decided to go ahead and open the items to avoid too much of a commotion. As soon as he did there was a press of people, many who had just arrived. A tall gentleman standing in front of me reached over and grabbed a camera for himself and one for me. He wanted to make sure that anyone who had waited for sure got one. My hero.

So, I can now say I did Black Friday. I only purchased 2 items but I saved about $200, so it was worth it. I don't know that I'll do it next year -- I value my sleep too much! Did anyone else venture out this morning? Did you get any great deals?

7 comments:

Aunt Alice said...

OH TO BE YOUNG AGAIN!!!!!

Cleve said...

I got a great deal on Black Friday....Got up at the crack of eight, ready for a relaxing day.

Aaron's family and Crystal arrive in late afternoon today, so am saving the appetite til then.

Happy weekend to all...

Anonymous said...

Have never gone, and don't have plans to ever try it. We slept til 8, which is way late for us. Then Nathan and I ran errands -- not mall errands, but dry cleaning and post office type stuff. By then, the girls were stirring so we started in making cookies. In about 4-5 hours, we made several kinds of cookies and candy. Pic to follow. Glad that all-night shopping thing worked out for you, though, Shelley!

Ada said...

I didn't get up until 8:45 this morning! I did take advantage of a Black Friday Door Buster sale. I left home at 10:30, got to a store at 11, made one purchase and "saved 157.67. I think I did good.

Then I went and watched Angela and girls make all those goodies. I was the official taste-tester, and there was not a bad taste in the bunch. Even the divinity turned out delicious, thanks to Gloria's recipe from our family recipe book.

marym said...

Our girls all left about 3 a.m. - They texted me that they were having a blast shopping. Jaimie's boyfriend won $100 at Belk and she said they saved $100 at another store. Glad they had fun! Then they all watched the AL-Auburn game together. Hated to miss that party!

rk2 said...

Renae and I with her husband and boys have gone out early the last few years. Last year her younger son was so charged to be at Meijer by midnight for a Wii that he called at 1:00 "They are lining up for tvs; get here now!!!" Renae and I drove to Meijer and got in line--alone and first in line until about 4:30. Apparently everyone else was lining up for the bigger tvs.

This year I decided it wasn't worth standing outside in cold weather and it being very, very windy here for the bargain. We went about 8:00 and found the item I wanted at WalMart after all.

It's fun to do it with a friend. I think Mom and Dad are glad I stood outside of Best Buy a couple of years ago for their GPS.

Eric - Retta said...

I've gone out the past couple of years. I don't go super early, usually just 15 or 20 minutes before they open and if what I want is there, that's ok. This year I decided not even try. The only store in Olney with Black Friday deals was Walmart and based on the Facebook posts of local folks, the lines started about 10:30 on Thursday night. I slept in and went to Walmart about 9:30. Of course everything was gone, so bought a water bowl for the dogs and some Coke (Diet Rite actually).