Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sobering Afternoon

It is very sobering to go to a funeral for an 18-year-old young man. I did that today. He was a former student of mine (five classes over the years), a graduate of five months ago, who collapsed while running at a local track on Wednesday night. He was eight months younger than my daughter, and as I sat next to her today, with the casket of one of her peers resting just a few yards away, the minor things that sometimes come between us seemed so unimportant.

To those who are parents of children still at home: Give them an extra hug tonight. Life is fleeting - my church and school families have found that out anew this week.

2 comments:

Ada said...

This very sad and I can only imagine the effect it has on you and your family. May the Lord be with the family of the young man as well as yours.

marym said...

Very sorry to know about the sudden passing of this young man. Praying for God's comfort.