Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My New BFF

I'm sure you are aware of the fact that me and my best friend Food had a falling out several months ago. It was a tough break-up. Although I occasionally miss our extended visits together, I have grown accustomed to seeing him in smaller doses and am quite happy with this new arrangement.

Of course, part of the reason it was so easy for me to move on was the fact that I found a new best friend. Shortly after Food and I decided to go our separate ways, someone introduced me to Exercise. "Oh, you're going to love him!" they said. "He is so much fun, he makes you look good, and the more time you spend with him the better you'll feel about yourself." He sounded pretty dreamy to me.

I have to tell you that in the beginning I felt he was grossly misrepresented. First of all, he wasn't fun to be with. In fact, I actually dreaded the time
I had to spend with him. He was boring, he was difficult, and my kids were constantly interrupting our time together. I also found that he didn't make me feel good as was promised. As a matter of fact, after just spending 30 minutes with Exercise my legs ached, my back hurt, and my knees were sore. After we were together I felt like I'd been beaten up! I was questioning whether this was really such a 'healthy' relationship after all. Not to mention the fact that he was stealing money from my wallet. Yes, that's right, and he was spending it on silly things like running shoes, polyester clothing, and water bottles!

After about 4 weeks I was tempted to just end the relationship and make a clean break from him. I was starting to miss my old friend Food occasionally, and Exercise just wasn't as cool as I thought he would be. A lot of people would hear about me and Exercise and their reaction would be "Good for you - that's great that you're doing something for yourself." I'd smile and nod my head but think to myself, 'If I was going to do something for myself I would spend some time with my friend The Mall, The Nail Salon, or Her Majesty... the Dairy Queen.' But, I had told quite a few people about this new friendship so I stuck with it out of sheer determination.

And I have to admit that I'm glad I did. As the weeks progressed, I started to see the good side of my new friend. He was getting more and more enjoyable to be with, the aches and pains that he used to inflict were starting to lessen with each meeting, and my kids were finally able to respect our time together. I might even go as far as saying that I look forward to our little dates now.

How is my husband taking all of this? He has been very supportive. He knows that Exercise can be a good friend and he encourages the relationship that we've
developed. Aside from the stolen money, he thinks it's a great thing.

So where is this relationship heading? I'm not really sure yet. I'm just enjoying our new found friendship and hope it continues for years to come. I hope that Exercise can be a regular part of my life, just like any other BFF would be.

I did The Lake Run last week-end. This is a picture of the boys running me to the finish-line.


4 comments:

Ada said...

Congratulations, Shelley, on your completion of the Lake Run - and your time spent with Exercise! You are an inspiration to me as I'm trying to spend more time with her myself - although I don't plan on participating in any "runs".

I also enjoy your creative writing talents. Keep up the good work in both areas.

Cleve said...

Nice write-up, Shelley. The Pantagraph should sign you up! Congrats on the Lake Run and the stict-to-it perseverence. I was up with insomnia last night at 3 a.m. and read some of Grandpa's "A TALE THAT IS TOLD". You should re-read his inspiring words about his many jogging and road-race experiences. Keep up the friendship with Exercise!

Carol said...

Shelley, Perry and I very much enjoyed your descriptive post! I can "relate" and it made me smile. I must admit food is too much of a friend for me right now. Thanks for the inspiration for me to keep the exercise going! Perry is very disciplined and stays trim.

Nog Blog said...

Hey, number 1221 looks like a professional runner, and he's no further ahead than you are! Looks like another good male runner behind you, too. The boys look excited cheering you on.