Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The ocean looks so beautiful. It reminds me of Long Beach, California, where we lived when Jamie was preschool-second grade, and Jodie was born there. I loved the ocean too, and before Jodie was born we lived in Belmont Shores, only 6 blocks from it, and would walk along the beachfront tourist shops, in the evening. Long Beach had oil well islands off shore that were beautiful with palm trees and colored lights. When Jodie was born, we bought a house not far from the ocean ( under the flight pattern of the Long Beach airport but that's another story). Seeing the ocean in your pictures brings back many memories of Long Beach. When I was working, I would drive along the ocean to get to work and back, and passed by the Queen Mary docked there. We would go to gospel concerts, in a large auditorium along Belmont Shores, with some couples from Alta Dena church, after they ate supper at our house. One night, Elvis Presley was there, but because of contracts he could not sing. He was friends with the Blackwood Brothers who were performing. He watched from the side of the stage, and came out and bowed but could not speak . It also reminds me of when Dad & Mom flew to Long Beach with all the other kids (Eric was a baby), and they stayed in a motel nearby and rented a large van. On Christmas Day, they all went to Belmont Shores, and it was about 85 degrees. Along the shore, they joined a large crowd watching a shark being opened to see if there were any human remains in its stomach. There wasn't, but ask any of them what kind of things came out of that shark, they will remember . While I was working during the day, Jamie went to a preschool along Belmont Shores. One day when I picked her up, she was in big trouble! She and a little boy ran away from the school and were found playing right along the water. When we asked her why she ran away, she said, "I was just trying to escape." Several times, we had visitors stay with us for their vacation. They always wanted to see the ocean, Disneyland, and the mountains. I hope, now that I am retired, I can write a book about my life, like Dad and Jerry did. In it will be a lot more details about living in Long Beach, near the beautiful ocean. Ada & Jerry, I am glad you are able to stay in Florida; I know you are enjoying it.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Gloria, Do you remember when you called and invited us to come to Long Beach for Christmas? We took the train and you met us early in the morning. We enjoyed all the things we did - the big thing was the Rose Bowl Parade. Larry was about 6 or 8 and loved staying up late and playing monopoly with you. Jamie was such a darling little girl. We still talk about how she would get her cereal for breakfast, put it in a bowl and every time would say "put the sugar on last". We have great memories from that trip.

Ada said...

Gloria, so fun to hear of your experiences. You've had an adventuresome life - wonder what adventures await you in retirement.? Your book will be great!!

Nog Blog said...

That was such a big trip we all took to California. Eric was a baby, so that was Christmas 1972. I remember the house you lived in. But I also remember an apartment you lived in?? Must have been a second trip, and I can't remember much about that. That was a long time ago!

marym said...

We loved our visit with you! Your girls were so cute. And of course we thought Disneyland was the greatest.

Eric - Retta said...

I don't remember the trip! EDK