Friday, September 25, 2009

My Hero


It seems I may have written about this before, but if I can't remember, maybe you don't either. This picture is marked July, 56, so I would have been just 4 years old. It was the Gridley Centennial and everyone in the family was participating, and especially excited about the big parade. Many of you have seen the pictures or remember the sail boat and sailor costumes the boys had, etc. I remember when Aunt Ruth and Uncle Jay arrived, Ruth was very sympathetic to me that I had no costume. I think she went uptown or somewhere, and soon she had this red crepe paper which she turned into this cool skirt and hat for me. She decorated my trike with the ribbons and I was absolutely thrilled with the outfit and the extra attention. (I was the middle child, you know.) Aunt Ruth was my hero that day.

I also remember going to their house in Evanston to spend a few days with Linda. We were allowed to roam a little, to a park and down the block. I remember Linda had one or two really fancy, frilly dresses, and we wore them outside to play one day. I don't think Aunt Ruth was pleased. On that same visit, Linda and I must have been spatting, so Aunt Ruth sent me with Bruce to a little corner grocery store to get a few things. One thing she needed was cooking oil. It came in a glass container. On the way out,I dropped the sack and the glass and oil made a huge mess outside the store. The clerk scolded me and Bruce and I think that upset Aunt Ruth. If I remember right, she stood up for us and argued a little with the clerk for chewing us out.

Those are a couple of stories I remember from childhood. In later years, Aunt Ruth was always an encourager and spoke positively about life and her love for the Lord.

I so wish I could be at her funeral, and Bruce and Linda, know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. We will miss her.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I never noticed before in this picture Alice and Ada sitting on the porch. Is Alice holding a camera?

Ada said...

hmmm . . . almost looks like Grandma is standing in the doorway, and where in the world is the porch swing? I don't remember it ever not being there.

Nog Blog said...

The swing is there, just in the far back right of the picture. Also looks like someone in the window right in front of the swing. I thought it looks like Grandma is standing in front of the door too. It's fun to blow these old pictures up because you can see so much more than even just looking at the original pictures.