Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rhoda's Fair Week

This is fair week in Hudsonville. I'm surprised by how much I enjoy the fair here--I tell people I never knew I was a redneck until I moved to Hudsonville apparently. My friends school has a short order restaurant style establishment every year at the fair for a fundraiser so you can eat at the fair and not have only typical fair food. I also like to go to the off road races at the grandstand and then on Saturday night is the big demolition derby. Unfortunately this year the weather isn't cooperating with a few days of off and on again rain and unseasonably cold temperatures.

This was the first year Renae and I entered some of our garden items and a few antiques into the open (adult) division. We were pretty successful for our first year. You can go here to see the items that won prizes for us.

Edit: Mom just told me that the quilt was made by Aunt Mary Graham and Grandma K. gave it to her and dad for a wedding present.

And if the chickens interest you, you can go here to read about our chicken emergency last night.

2 comments:

Cleve said...

Impressive pictures of your entries! You are true gardeners. I've been curious, however, about the manure-covered rhubarb? Did you grow any and how did it fare?
Cleve

Rhoda said...

We still haven't done well with the rhubarb. We may start over in a new area as I'm thinking the soil may not be sandy enough. We are going to manure it more this fall and hopefully that will be better next spring.

I would probably be more motivated to get our rhubarb going if there was a good source to buy it locally at a reasonable price.