Friday, February 13, 2009

Confederates in Brazil

Last night Lynn and I went to the library to hear Dr. Randy Cross, a Calhoun College historian, speak on a subject that would perhaps interest you history buffs. Did you know that during and after the Civil War thousands of Confederates left the U.S. and emigrated to many countries to get away from the humiliation of the debasing Reconstruction? Thousands moved to three colonies in Brazil, which finally became one colony named Americana, near Sao Paulo. The colony is alive and thriving today. Those Civil War descendants in Americana are known as Confederados. Dr. Cross has visited there several times.
We studied the Civil War only briefly in our Illinois growing up days. But when we moved South, the Civil War was still being fought to our surprise. I still recall at a school meeting, the principal saying, "We will resurrect Robert E. Lee". However, that has changed with the influx of folks from all over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I am reading a series of three books "Dream of Freedom" by Michael Phillips. Erin and Thomas gave them to me for Christmas. They are all about slavery and the civil war.
I don't remember much about all of this from my school days. At that time I didn't like history.