Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jan. 18 at Calvary UMC

Surely if we all shared summaries of moving Sunday services, this blog would take on a different mood, and likely turn many away. However, we had such a moving Sunday, I have to share.

We've been going through a series called "God I have a question." They set up a website where we could go and ask questions, and then they grouped them into big categories to discuss one each week. We are about 3 weeks into it. Today's subject was "Why does God let bad things happen?" At the end of service, they played this video on the big screens. It was a bit of a tear-jerker, so some were sniffling.

Then Pastor Randy spoke again, and said, "This is about to become one of those services you will not soon forget. I was passed a note as that video played, letting me know that Rachel Vincent passed away this morning." Now there was an all-out sobbing session.

Rachel is Kelsie's age. About a year ago, she had a tumor removed from her leg. Treatment was a success, and she soon was back to normal. She went to Work Camp with the kids this summer, and started to school as a Senior this fall. About Thanksgiving time, she was having pain in her lung when she breathed. It was a tumor, but doctors advised that a family trip to South Carolina for Thanksgiving would be OK, and treatment would start when they returned. Well, the treatment didn't work. I am sad today for what Rachel's mom, who works near me at SF, is going through right now. I wish she could have heard the sermon, and listened to that little boy talking about his calf. I am thankful my kids are healthy, and that their problems aren't life-threatening. God is good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that, Angela. It is for sure a tear jerker. This will have quite an impact on her friends in high school. We will pray for her family.

Anonymous said...

Angela, thanks for sharing. I received a link to the video a little while back. Yes, this service will have a great impact.

How reassuring to know God loves and cares for us as no one else could because He understands what we go through more than anyone else can.

Despite having a really bad cold and wanting to stay in bed after a night of little sleep I went ahead and went to church as I was scheduled to play the keyboard. I was really blessed by a song we sometimes sing and two ladies sang today as special music.

Here's a link to the lyrics:
http://www.gettymusic.com/lyrics.asp?id=88

Shelley S said...

Thanks for sharing this Angela. I can't imagine what the family is going through. I will certainly pray for them.

Ada said...

This was certainly a very sad post and we will pray for the family. Let me remind eveyone to always be thankful for your healthy children.