Monday, January 19, 2009

HELLO AGAIN

I try not to take up too much space on this blog, but since I'm known as the "most prolific", I wouldn't want to lose my reputation, so here's some more info from DC.

To update on Tommy. He's back at Timber Ridge and they say he's resting comfortably. They are taking good care of him and the Hospice nurse will check on him 2-3 times a week. They say we need not hurry home. Drake and Angela went to see him -- thanks, kids, that was very nice.

Last week we spent another day at the Capitol - called Tim Johnson, our congressman - and his assistant took us and 4 other people from Illinois on a personal tour. We got to go into the House and sit in the front row on the right (republican) side for a short lecture. also got to go through lots of tunnels from the office buildings to the Capitol. Interesting. Also stopped at the Pentagon City mall and went shopping. It was a large 4-story mall with a huge food court at the bottom and open all the way up. I got a new cashmere sweater from Talbots.

On Friday, we went back downtown and toured the Spy Museum. I thought it might be boring, but it was very interesting and fun with interactive things to do. If any of you young families take your children to DC - put this on your list of things to do. I think adolescent kids would love it. We kinda wished Heather could've seen this with us.

Sunday was a big day, with singing at the nursing home (quite a few of the residents sang the old hymns along with us - 'bout made me cry), packed lunch bags, and had dinner. I wanted to take a picture of the bag-packing, but my batteries were dead. We had the biggest crowd so far at church -- 20 people. Everyone left about 5:30. It was a good day.

Quiet today. I just googled and mapquested a Walgreen's as we need to go get our prescriptions refilled! I thought you'd be interested in that tidbit of information. Don't really have much else planned for the week. Pretty cold here. Not going downtown tomorrow.

7 comments:

Drake said...

I hope I don't make you feel bad for not going downtown but I can tell you if I was that close I wouldn't miss it. Somewhere there are people kicking themselves who didn't go see MLKs "I Have a Dream" speech because it was too cold or crowded or whatever. Whether President Obama's speech becomes historic no one can say for sure. But there's no denying the significance of the first African-American president as a partial realization of that "dream". And what seems like such a critical turning point in American History. Like I said...I wouldn't miss it.

Ada said...

Just to add---we would have to take the Metro in--nesrest stop at least 1 mile walk from activities...Metros are going to open at 4:a.m. and they are warning people to be careful at the Metro stations because of "crushing" crowds.... latest number 3+ million people....believe it or not..we are too "old" to fight those crowds...P. S. "Thanks, Drake"" Grandma C is smiling in heaven!!

Nog Blog said...

I started to type: Drake, you're young enough, healthy enough, energetic enough, and adventuresome enough to take on the thrill of Obama's inauguration...but I hesitated to type it because that would make it sound like your folks are too old, too sickly, too tired, and too boring to accomplish it...
I still vote with Ada and Jerry!

(My word verification that has popped is "prestpoo." If I may be so crude, I think that was one of the deciding factors for staying away from the crowds tomorrow! Ha!)

Ada said...

Just to add---we would have to take the Metro in--nesrest stop at least 1 mile walk from activities...Metros are going to open at 4:a.m. and they are warning people to be careful at the Metro stations because of "crushing" crowds.... latest number 3+ million people....believe it or not..we are too "old" to fight those crowds...P. S. "Thanks, Drake"" Grandma C is smiling in heaven!!

Ada said...

Well, it's really ME this time! Yes, we're just too old and don't have the physical stamina to walk that far and stand for hours among the crowd. We hated to give in to that, but . . . we'll just have to settle for watching it in comfort and order a pizza. Drake, I know you'd love it.

Anonymous said...

Nay will have his Obama shirt on tomorrow for school! He thinks it's "Barack Obama Day".

Eric - Retta said...

Aunt Ada,
Take up all the space on the blog that you want. It disappoints me when I log on and there isn't a new post. I love hearing about what others are doing.

I probably need to take my own advice and post and not feel like I post too much. EDK