Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sarah Palin, 4 months postpartum

I've been reading about Sarah Palin, McCain's pick for VP. I guess since she is basically an unknown with little experience, the media vultures have not come up with a whole lot on her yet. I read an article in the Pantagraph this morning and was surprised to find in the last sentence of the last paragraph (almost as an "Oh, by the way . . . "), she had a baby in April, her 5th child. Not only that, but the baby has Down Syndrome. I suspect in her deck of cards, this child will be the pro-life card. Yes, it's wonderful that at age 44, and knowing her baby would be special-needs, she kept the child. But it does bother me - as VP of the United States, and a heartbeat away from the presidency, can she possibly give this child the mother's attention that one would get from a "normal" mother? She has been quoted, "I won't shirk my duties." Does she mean her duties as VP or her duties as mommy of a new special-needs baby? I know it's a different world today for families than it was when I raised my kids, but I feel in this situation, someone is going to lose, and I think it will be the baby. Yes, he will get the "best" care, but I feel the "best" care is plentiful time and attention from Mom. Okay, nuff said.

Love to all,
Cathy

6 comments:

Ada said...

I agree with your thoughts and think McCain might have made a big mistake in his choice for VP.

Anonymous said...

Interesting comments. Yesterday I tried to find out as much as I could about Palin and it appears as though she hs done a really good job balancing her professional life and mothering. I realize my comments have to be balanced with the fact that I'm not a mother.

I really like the pick and have been excited to learn more about her.

Anonymous said...

I think working moms can do alot, but I agree with Cathy on this one. I look forward to the Republican convention so that I can be fully educated on both sides. In my opinion, the DCN will be hard to top.

Eric - Retta said...

The addition of Palin to the ticket, in our minds was a bold move but one that was needed to take away some questions on where the republican ticket was going. From everything we see, she's a maverick non-politician that might be what this country needs. If you do what you did, you get what you got!

I remember with Grandpa Ralph ran for state senator his slogan was: "A businessman not a politician". I remember him saying after he lost that he learned that people often say they don't want the same old politics, but when given the choice between the old politician and a new "unknown" they will almost always choose the old politician because he/she will tell them what they want to hear to stay in office.

The next two months of politics will be interesting, that's for sure.

Maria said...

Cathy, my thoughts were nearly identical to yours when I heard about Sarah Palin. But my beliefs and convictions on raising children are pretty conservative compared to the mainstream. Sounds like she's a popular choice...coming across as more of a "real" person than a politician.

Ann said...

Al Mohler has some interesting thoughts at his blog: http://www.albertmohler.com/blog_read.php?id=1521