Wednesday, August 20, 2008

All In A Day's Work

On Tuesday morning I was sitting in McDonalds enjoying some coffee and reading. I noticed an elderly man walking slowly across the parking lot into the restaurant. I returned to my reading. Shortly, he came to my table and commended me for being "dressed up," as I had on a white shirt, tie and slacks. He said it's terrible how people dress so sloppy today. His positive comment made me feel good, of course. I told him my father taught me to dress up, especially for business. He even sat down briefly. He was 78, and "went under" (financially) raising cattle in Oklahoma. Then he told me that Starbucks, all over, are closing down. Quite a talker. He didn't have much use for physicians either. He finally left. I then went out to my vehicle. I was so flattered by his compliment that I almost got into the wrong van. Mine was three parking spaces away. Hoping no one saw me I hurried to my van and got in.

In an unrelated matter, a woman came into our store in late afternoon. She had a deep, man's voice. When she left the store, I asked Carol and Heather (a clerk) if they would rather be a woman with a man's voice, or a man with a woman's voice.

Now, I propose that question to the multi-state EJK Blog members, and will await your answers. Webmaster Cleve can do the tallying, and report as he is able.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would rather be a woman with a manly voice, than the reverse. I don't know know why though.

Anonymous said...

I would rather be a man with a woman's voice because I sometimes make phone calls to businesses on behalf of Kathleen to correct mistakes, change info, inquire about terms, etc. Then the receptionist invariably says she MUST talk to HER only, not me. They judge me and label me immediately - strictly by my voice. If I had a woman's voice, I could do business in her name with no harassment.
Cleve
P.S. I will be happy to tally results

Nog Blog said...

I think I'd take the woman with a man's voice. I always thought the opposite of Cleve's problem...that the authoritative voice of a man can get more attention and respect. What did Carol vote?

Eric - Retta said...

Without a doubt, a woman with a mans voice!!! It seems that society is much more likely to accept a woman as being "a tomboy". However, when a man has a female voice they are pretty quick to judge them. RK

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nog Blog's and Retta's comments so count me in for woman with a "deeper" voice.

So far all women have said woman with a man's voice and the lone male said woman with a man's voice. I wonder if there will be a gender factor in the answers.

Anonymous said...

The pitch of one's voice, sort of like one's height, who can change?
Nevertheless, our habits do have an effect--example, longtime nicotine users, especially females, get a low pitched voice, probably from scarred vocal cords.
Even so, for the tally I guess I'd go with the more masculine voice.

Anonymous said...

How can I think I've done everything right to send a comment and "anonymous" pops up. Anyway, the anonymous comment is from Mim.

Anonymous said...

I've often thought that it is truly miraculous that God could create many millions of voice sounds (pitches). Each is unique and recognizable and yet within the range of "normal". Amazing.
Cleve

Nog Blog said...

I agree with Cleve's last comment. How can so many millions of people all look different? There are only so many body parts, yet you go to some place where there is a big crowd and I'm always amazed at the variety of appearances. Mind-boggling.