Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4th Memories

I couldn't relate to the Memorial Day memories shared earlier in the year, but the Fourth of July is a different story. Growing up, it was the best day of the year! When we were very young, we would decorate our bikes and ride in the parade. At the end, we would get a 50 cent piece as a prize! Every year, there were games and entertainment for us to enjoy. Since we lived close to the football field, our house was a sort of gathering place for friends and family. The day would always end with fireworks which we would watch from the roof. A couple of 4th of July memories of interest to this group: Keith going through the screen door, thinking it was closed! And Dave Nog Blog going through the deck, thinking it was solid wood! I don't think my kids believe in the 4th of July as much as I do. I've always taken them to parades (even took Nathan to Towanda's today) but it's never been the same for them as good-old-Minonk on the 4th of July was for me!!

Happy 4th!!!

3 comments:

Ada said...

I think you rode your bike in one parade with a scarf covering the 17stitches in your head - am I right on that? Then we went to the Nog Blogs in Wyoming and returned to Minonk for the evening activities. Maybe you've blocked that day from your memory!

Eric - Retta said...

I was thinking back on past 4th of July's myself yesterday. I remember going to Ada and Jerry's in Minonk a couple of times. Once I think we even got to hear the Oak Ridge Boys perform on the football field. I also fondly remember many times packing up lawn chairs and going to Chenoa or to out to Lake Bloomington to watch fireworks from the pontoon with Grandma (Catherine) and Grandpa (Ralph) K. Yesterday, we slept in then cleaned and enjoyed the swimming pool. About 8:30 we left off some bottle rockets and two very pathetic Roman Candles. After coaxing the dog out from under the couch (he's brave) we just relaxed until bedtime. However, holidays are the hardest to be miles away from the family.

Anonymous said...

I do remember playing tackle football one 4th of July with some kids from out of town. Afterwards, dad found out and said that I shouldn't have been doing that with 17 stitches in my head. The dad of those other kids was shocked and felt bad! I felt fine. Plus, the red had was cute! I don't remember who those kids were -- mom & dad's friends, or maybe our neighbor's friends?