Saturday, July 5, 2008

More 4th of July




I have many good 4th of July memories as well. I remember lots of them spent in Minonk and I also remember the Oak Ridge Boys concert that Eric referred to (in the comments on Angela's post). I was glad to hear someone else mention it because I thought maybe I had dreamed it... the Oak Ridge Boys singing on a semi-trailer on the Minonk football field ???


July 4th is a big deal for the Steffen family. I found that out the first year we were married and I wore a pink shirt -- I was the only person not dressed in red, white, and blue. Anyway we went to Towanda yesterday for the parade and flea market. Then we headed over to Miller Park for the afternoon and evening. We saw the concert that Aunt Ada referred to earlier. It was very well done. The most moving part was when they sang the theme song for each branch of the armed forces. When they sang each song they asked veterans from each branch to stand and be recognized. It was sad to see that in such a large crowd there were only a handful standing each time. And only about 2-3 that I saw younger than 50. It reminded me of the blog discussions regarding Memorial Day.


After the concert we stayed for the fireworks and then waited in a traffic jam to get home. Today was spent recovering and catching up on laundry. My washer broke on Monday and my usual service man (my dad) advised me to call a professional this time. He can't come until next week so I had to visit the laundrymat. I did 11 loads of wash and spent $30.00. Wow! It's sure nice to have it all done at once though.
Hope you all had a wonderful 4th!
Shelley
P.S. My camera incorrectly dated the photos July 5th - they were taken last night.


5 comments:

Ada said...

I don't want to burst anybody's bubble, but I really don't think the Oak Ridge Boys were in Minonk. It was probably the local group, Modern Cowboyz, and your day told you it was the Oak Ridge Boys. Although, you've got me wondering but I don't know how we could verify it one way or the other.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember the Oak RIdge Boys being there, but Shelley's got the setting correct, semi trailer and all. Maybe it was the Oak Ridge Boys!!

Eric - Retta said...

All I know is that the group (who ever they were) sang "Elvira".

Shelley mentioned the Armed Services song in her blog. Our church choir (of which Retta is a proud member) sang that song in church today. When they sang each branches part, the veterans went forward. I was impressed that in a church service of only 140 people, we had 4 branches of military covered by around 20 men. But then again, our small church currently has 5 young men serving overseas right now.

Thank you to Dad, and the other family who were willing serve so we could enjoy a day of celebration of our independance and freedom. EDK

Ada said...

Is that really "sparklers" that a Dr. kid is playing with??

Shelley S said...

Yes! And the kids did fine with them. Their 35-year-old uncle burned a hole in his pants though!