Sunday, May 25, 2008

MEMORIAL DAYS OF YORE

As we were watching part of the Indy 500 race today, some memories came to my mind of when I was a child and Memorial Day was a big deal. Memories from mid 40's to late 50's:

*My big brothers coming home with their wives and children of all ages - always a treat for me.
*Watching the parade in downtown Gridley - proudly marching in that parade in my new Brownie dress - again proudly marching in that parade with the GCHS marching band.
*Going to the ceremony at the cemetery where we visited the graves of my ancestors then covered our ears when the guns went off.
*The men washing their cars with the hose in Mother's driveway and listening to the Indy race on the RADIO.
*Kids running around outside and riding bikes, trikes, wagons, scooters -- stopping by to fill up with gas at the water spigots on both sides of the house.
*Sitting on the hand-turned ice-cream maker while the men turned the handle -- sneaking bites of ice and salt whenever we could - then licking the ice-cream when the center thing was removed.
*Babies tied in the old highchair with dishtowels, babies crying, bottles, diapers, etc.
*Home-fried chicken dinner
*Swinging on the front porch swing, jumping off the steps, pretending to drive the car.
*Shooting baskets behind the old garage
*Swinging on the tire swing

Those were the "good old days". Just think at all the fun we had WITHOUT TV'S, IPODS, VIDEO GAMES. But, NO, I wouldn't to go back! And I hope somebody will give us their wii when something better comes along!

What else do you remember?

5 comments:

Eric - Retta said...

I was reminded how much I am like my dad today during the Indy 500. I slept through most of it, watched the last 20 laps and acted like I saw the whole thing when the kids asked.

As for Memorial Day, our generation didn't get the full meaning or understanding of memorial day when we were kids. I do remember the little parades in Gridley and then going the cemetary for the memorial service. When Retta and I were first married and living in Athens, the singing in Tennessee was our memorial day weekend event. Since then, it's been a weekend of relaxing and spending time with the kids.

Shelley S said...

I have pretty much the same memories... going up town to watch the little Memorial day parade, then marching in it when I was a Brownie and again in high school when I was in 'flags' with the band.

In the 80s when we would go to the cemetary there would be a speech, the band would play a song, and the American Legion guns would shoot. I also remember they would have a lone trumpet player play Taps, while another member of the band would run to the other side of the cemetery. When the song was finished the 2nd trumpet player would play the 'echo' version from afar. It was always very quiet and somber. When I was little I couldn't figure out where the echo came from and I found the whole thing kind of erie.

Does anyone know if the Taps echo was a long-standing tradition or just something they did at that time?

Ada said...

We went to the ceremony this morning and taps is still being played and echoed. Last year they built a new monument which is very nice and makes the ceremony even more impressive; and even though the ragged old soldiers can no longer in step, their heart is in the right place. Also, Dick Stanhouse sang - acapella - America the Beautiful and it was indeed beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Ada,
You recollected and described the Mem. Day Memories perfectly. I felt like I was back in time. You should post that on the big Internet for circulation! For me, the homemade ice cream was the highlight along with the Indy 500 on the radio. I'll always remember listening at your house in 1963 when driver Bill Vukovich was killed. Yesterday's Peoria church sermon mentioned how Memorial Day just isn't what it used to be. Shelley, your cemetery comments were also perfect. I, too, was memsmerized by the trumpet taps and "echo".
Mom has old 8mm home-movies of many of the Mem. Day Gridley parades and I've transferred them onto a DVD...not the greatest quality, however. Ada looks great, however, in her new Brownie dress and in the GHS marching band.
Cleve

Anonymous said...

One time we went to the cemetary event and it was really hot. One of the girls in the girls in the band fainted and it scared me. Those who could help, including Dad, went to her and took off her hot band coat and gave her water. She was fine right away, but I couldn't sleep right for weeks after that.

We've gone to the Memorial Day parade here in Bloomington for about 6 years now. Heather was in the band for 4, and we've gone the two years since she's been out. It almost makes me cry when I see the UHS band go by and she's not in it. This year, I didn't even recognize any kids!:( I always yell, "Go U High" to the band director, and he remembers us!:)