Thursday, May 29, 2008

Buying Locally

Well, I've not gotten the refrigerator cleaned out yet, and I'm not about to post the "before" picture without an "after" one. BUT, I did go to our local farmers' market this morning and got some beautiful broccoli florets and cauliflower. The prices were better than the grocery store and the quality--well, you be the judge.
After reading comments on Drake's blog last year, and reading other things also, I'm going to make a sincere effort this year to buy locally. It makes sense whenever possible. Why should I buy broccoli raised in California and shipped here, when a local farmer who only has to bring it a few minutes to the market also has a better quality product?

I hope Drake is going to get that blog going again this year. We may not be as "gourmet" or as extensive as he is, but I like the ideas he is espousing! Do any of you try to use the buy-local approach?

1 comment:

Ada said...

Wow -- what beautiful cauliflower and broccoli. I also plan to do more shopping at the local farmer's markets in El Paso and Bloomington/Normal. We need to eat more veggies! Unfortunately, I tend to buy too much when it looks good - then we can't eat all of it before it spoils. That's a problem living in "podunk", because I can't just run to the store a mile away and get what we need for a couple days. And, with the price of gas, I try to limit my trips to Bloomington.