Monday, May 12, 2008

Building



We've run out of room in our current house and are in the process of building a new one. I will miss the character and charm of our 100+ year old home but I am really looking forward to more space! Especially the laundry room which is almost as big as our master bedroom (Sam thinks it's crazy but I'm sure you ladies will understand). We managed to find 5 acres in the country between Lexington and Towanda. It has an existing shed on it (which needs some work), and some beautiful pasture around it. I thought I'd post some pictures occasionally so everyone can see the progress. We're hoping to be in around the end of August. Here's a front-view photo, and one of Grandma and my Mom at the "front door". Everyone says that building is so stressful. I have to say that so far things have gone really smoothly - but what I am dreading is listing our house. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to keep it clean all the time!

4 comments:

Ada said...

Looks like a nice house. We enjoyed building our home and you do not have to "fight" to get it done. Once we had the floor plan ready, Jerry pretty much made "outside" or "construction" decisions and left the "inside" or "decorating" decisions to me. Of course, we "ok'd" everything with the other but we never got too stressed out with things. But most people say "if you can make it through building a house without divorcing, you can make it through anything" - so I guess we're good to go! Good Luck - I'm sure you'll love your new home.

Shelley S said...

We've heard the divorcing over a new house comment a lot too. We've been handling things like you guys did - Sam doing the outside and me the inside - and it's been working out well for us. It's nice to hear of positive building experiences since weainly hear the bad ones.

Anonymous said...

Shelley and Sam,
I'm excited for you in building a new home and will be anticipating more pics to show the progress. I get vicarious pleasure out of home building and imagine the happy living in them. ataop

Anonymous said...

Shelley and Sam,
I'm excited for you in building a new home and will be anticipating more pics to show the progress. I get vicarious pleasure out of home building and imagine the happy living in them. ataop
The anonymous is Aunt Mim. Guess I ought to ask for help because I don't like "anonymous" for nonprivate communications.