Monday, May 2, 2016

GOSPEL CRUISE

Several months ago I went on a gospel cruise to the Caribbean.  I had a great time & went with many other people from Apostolic Christian churches all over the country (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Iowa, Missouri).  The entertainment on the ship was well-known Southern gospel groups such as The Booth Brothers, Greater Vision, Legacy Five, The Mark Trammell Quarter, The Collingsworth Family, and Jim Brady Trio.  Reminded me of the videos of Andrew' Bailes singing Southern gospel.  I'd highly recommend a gospel cruise!  It's so uplifting, the fellow passengers are all believers, and it's an all-around great experience.

Interestingly, the first day we received a list of other passengers and I noticed there was a Klopfenstein couple from Ohio onboard!  I didn't recognize their names & wondered what were the chances of running into them on a ship of 2,000 people plus 900 crew.  The very first night at the first gospel show I found one open seat way down toward the front stage & quickly sat down in this great seat.  I got to talking to an older couple next to me & we chatted about  how many cruises we'd each been on, how we both enjoy Southern gospel music, etc.  They asked me where I was from & mentioned they were from Ohio.  I glanced at their name badges & saw they were the Klopfenstein's!  They couldn't believe it when I gasped & proclaimed that I am a Klopfenstein also!  They were Dan & Bev Klopfenstein, both born & raised in Ohio.  I don't recall the name of their hometown or the name of his parents, but Dan was probably late 70's.  Dan said they & their whole extended family has always pronounced it KlopfenSTEEN, as they think KlopfenSTEIN sounds Jewish.  They asked me if I was Jewish  :).  I mentioned the name of some of my ancestors, but they didn't recognize any names.  Dan thought his family originated in Germany.  I'm curious if Uncle Lynn can find Dan in his list of genealogy records????????








Dan & Bev Klopfenstein


4 comments:

rk2 said...

This looks like a really fun cruise. I'm sure you had a great time.

I have no doubt that Dan and Bev are in the file, and if not, they will be soon!

As far as the name pronunciation, I always thought "steen" was Jewish and "stine" was German. Does anyone else know about this?

Crystal Klopfenstein said...

That's what I thought too.

LynnK said...

Thank you, Crystal, for the POST! A very interesting scenario! I'm searching--there are many Daniel K's and Beverly so I'm having to stretch the brain cells to get it figured out! But, at the moment of discovery, I'll post loud and clear!!!

Ann said...

That cruise sounds wonderful. The singers that you mentioned were on it are ones that in my opinion are in the music industry truly for the glory of God, and their singing reflects that. Maybe someday!