Friday, November 28, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving from the Wetzels

It has been a long time since I posted, but since I popped in to ask for some K expertise on the cookie recipe yesterday, I thought I would spend a little more time today and tell you about our Thanksgiving.

Here is the island in our kitchen with all the food, ready for plates to be filled. I made turkey, mom's dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, Aunt Catherine's Orange Jello Salad, rolls, pumpkin pie and apple pie (also from the K Cookbook).

As it turns out, I did not make grandma's cookies since I coudld not find Cream of Tartar in the local Winn Dixie, where I spent 2 hours with Nathan on Wednesday, buying all the ingredients for our Thanksgiving meal. I will look for it at at Publix this weekend, and try to make the cookies soon!

Here are Kelsie and Nathan watching Harry Potter in the "game room" later in the day.

We had a wonderful day. I enjoyed cooking all the food, we watched the Bears game, I walked 2 miles, we napped, and we Skyped the rest of the family at Jason & Janice's house. We miss them, but are excited they are all coming for Christmas.

Unfortunately, Jerry and I didn't make it in any pics from today. Here's a recent one of us at Nathan's school, the day he won the Soaring Eagle award.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

8 comments:

Ann said...

Great meal!! Sounds like you were busy for several days. Thanks for the good pics and descriptions.
p.s. Don't you love Publix!

Perry said...

So good to hear from you and I loved the pictures---even the dog.:) It sounds like you had a wonderful feast, and I'm sure you were glad to have Heather with you. Now you've got me eager to try my hand at making Grandma K's chocolate cookies. Normally I do little or no baking. ---Carol

Maria said...

Funny... I read the book "Because of Winn Dixie" to my kids a couple of years ago, but never realized that was a real life grocery store! We love read-alouds, and this was one of our favorites. One of those where you laugh and cry together.

Nog Blog said...

Good job, Ang! I want to see a pic of the chocolate cookies when you get them done...here's what I found on the always wise and correct Google:
Cream of tartar is the powdered form of tartaric acid, a substance that forms at the bottom of barrels when making wine. It is added to recipes for three reasons:
•to stabilize egg whites (when whipping them for meringue)
•to act as a leavening agent in cookies and other baked goods (when used in conjunction with baking soda)
•to make frosting and icing creamy (it prevents the sugar from crystallizing)

Cream of Tartar Substitutes

If you don't have any cream of tartar in your pantry, you can use one of these substitutes in its place:

For beating egg whites - use an equal amount of white vinegar or lemon juice, or omit the cream of tartar entirely

As a leavening agent - replace the baking soda and the cream of tartar in the recipe with baking powder. One teaspoon of baking powder replaces 1/3 tsp of baking soda and 2/3 tsp cream of tartar

For frosting - leave the cream of tartar out. No substitution is necessary


I won't be worrying about it because I, like Carol, do little to no baking.

Anonymous said...

Nathan's class did a lesson on the story of Winn Dixie, and the store is so popular here, all the kids believe the dog was found at THEIR Winn Dixie! Around Halloween, we had to decorate a pumpkin like the dog Winn Dixie for a display at school.

We rescued our dog, but not from Winn Dixie. A friend in Tampa found him and Nathan and I drove to get him one day earlier this year. You know Jackson is a good dog, because I love him, and my standards are pretty high for a dog.

Thanks for the extra info about the Cream of Tartar. Maybe I can make them after all!

Perry said...

Angela, it is interesting that Maria & Brandon recently had a similar experience with adopting a dog. Max just showed up at their place, and after a month of not being able to find an owner, they took him to the vet for shots. She wasn't eager to get a dog---but even she likes Max.---Carol

Ada said...

Looks like you had a very delicious dinner. You have become a very good cook - I must have taught you well! :)

I'm looking forward to coming before Christmas and making cookies with you with you and Kelsie and Nathan. AND I might even bring a present for Jackson. For those of you who don't know who Jackson is, it's their dog and my buddy - when I'm there he plays only with me and he also sleeps on my feet, which is nice because my feet are always cold!!

MaryM said...

Good to hear from you, Angela. It sounds like you're all very happy in Florida!