Monday, October 27, 2014

Klopfenstein Family Cookbook

I have a little time tonight so will attempt to keep the flow of blog posts going.

This weekend I got out the Klopfenstein Family Favorites cookbook to look up the banana bread recipe (middle of page 85) that has been used here many times.  There are several recipes that are "go-to" in this book for me.  Ham Balls on p. 50 has "Good- 5/97" written on it.  Molly's Marinated Artichokes and Mushrooms (p. 21) got taken to Christmas celebrations last year.  Charity's Davy Crockett Bars recipe (p. 104) is one of the first things Andrew learned to bake, and he made them many times as a young boy.  That page is quite worn.  And this Christmas I plan to attempt the caramels recipe again after last year's epic fail.  


I've never been involved in a cookbook project; however, have done enough writing of various kinds to see that it would be an enormous investment of time and effort.  Thank you, Ada, again, for all you did for this.  It is a family history as well as a window into others' personalities.  When it first came out, there was a problem with some of the pages, and you sent out a reprint.  (Another epic job.)  Mary Lee was quite young at the time, but I gave her the original one and told her it was her copy of the Klopfenstein cookbook.  She was so proud of it, that she had her own copy!

With a little time this evening, I re-read some of the introductions and dividing pages.  Reading about Aunt Minerva brought back memories of her.  As an adult, I did not know her well.  Most of my memories as a child and even a teenager, of the older generation of Klopfensteins such as Aunt Minerva and Aunt Mary, were not mature enough to realize and appreciate what gems they were.  Looking back, I can recall their great personalities and smiles - which must be a Klop trait since many of our generations have the same qualities.   

Picture is a little blurry - apologies!!


Now the recipes from Sophia Meiss Klopfenstein, which Ada challenged people to try.  I'm not up for dandelion wine.  :-)  And the chocolate cake - what is meant by "grated chocolate"?  Bitter?  Semi-sweet?  Whether the recipes get used or not, it was fun to read them.

Thank you for indulging a little trip of memories!!  Would appreciate hearing some of your favorite recipes from the cookbook in the comments section.  I could use some new ideas.

Now - it's someone else's turn to keep the flow of posts coming!!

2 comments:

Nog Blog said...

The Klopfenstein cookbook I have is yellow. Hmmm. I'll have to look through and see if I can find this one. We want a full report, with pictures, of the 2014 caramels!

rk2 said...

From the yellow Klopfenstein I made the Heavenly Bars when I was growing up.

I love the bright pink and the blue Klopfenstein cookbooks that Aunt Ada did. I remember just laughing at the idea of my name in a cookbook. My go-to in that one is Aunt Catherine's orange jello salad and a beef stroganoff. I think it's Aunt Ada's but I'm not sure and I'm too tired to get up and go look!

Your post makes want to read more about the people from the previous book.