Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"Runners, start your engines...."


                             
                                            KLOP  FAMILY  FUN-RUN  2011
Was this the prompting of bigger and better things for many?  Longer distances, faster times, etc.?

In keeping with the Distance Running theme (see the impressive Marathon post below), it was suggested that I post my Trivia Question here as a post:  
Baseball slugger Hank Aaron hit 755 career home runs.  How many miles did he run, cumulatively, in just circulating the bases -- (not counting the jog from home-plate to the dugout)?  In fairness, please wait until after 6 p.m. Central Time tomorrow evening (Thurs.) to respond. 
The first correct answer after that time gets a prize.

Hint:  all the bases are 90 feet apart. 

3 comments:

rk2 said...

Well, Cleve, I was trying to let a younger give an answer, but almost 24 hours after you gave as a time to post an answer, I will do so.

90 feet between bases and 4 bases = 360 feet each home run.
755*360 = 271,800 feet.
271,800/5280 (feet in a mile) = 51.48 miles.

Aaron essentially ran 2 marathons of homeruns.

Is this correct?

clevekath said...

rk2, yes that is totally correct and I find it surprising as well as amazing. Essentially, 2 full marathons! I guess you are the only mathematician (and baseball and running enthusiast) of the family. Your prize (SUR-prize) will be forthcoming within 48 hours on the EJK blog in the form of a new Post.

rk2 said...

Well, I think I could run 360 feet a day. If I did every day in just under two years and one month, I'd have run as much as Hank Aaron did running the bases after home runs. Then I, too, could say I've run two marathons!

Looking forward to your post.