Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Steffen Update

I read Aunt Ada's appeal for new posts.  I always enjoy hearing everyone else's updates, so here's mine...

I celebrated my 40th birthday back in January and Sam gave me the perfect gifts.  An iPad and a vintage 1920s Royal Typewriter.  He laughed that I spent more time playing with the typewriter than I did the iPad at first.  Aside from Facebook, Pinterest, and my email, the only 2 games I have downloaded on the iPad are Popwords and Crossword Puzzles.  This is to ensure that it stays my device and doesn't get overtaken with the kids' stuff.


I baked a couple of rhubarb pies for the Mennonite Relief Sale this week.  I bought some rhubarb at the store in the morning but when I was ready to make the pies in the afternoon, it was no where to be found.  I didn't want to load everyone up and drive back into Bloomington to the grocery store, so I put out a plea for rhubarb on Facebook.  Sure enough, a neighbor had some in her freezer that I went over and picked it up quick.  I also got an offer of frozen rhubarb from Texas (*cough*Rhoda*cough*), and the recipe for Great Grandma's rhubarb pies from Aunt Ada.  In this case, technology was a very helpful thing!  The pies turned out great, by the way, and this will be my standard recipe from now on.

Otherwise, it's business as usual around here -- laundry, kids activities, and homework.  I'll leave you with the latest book report from Thad.  He's in 5th grade this year and has had to do a variety of different things for reading.  This assignment was to pick a partner and both read the same book.  They could do an oral report, interview each other, or make a movie.  Of course, he chose the movie.  their book was called Wild Man Island.  His friend came over after school one day and they put this together in about 30 minutes.  Enjoy!





10 comments:

Nog Blog said...

I imagine they had a good time putting this together. Book reports are not what they were in our day, are they, cousins?

rk2 said...

Loved the book report! It must be hard to paddle on a frozen pond.

Happy late birthday. Personally I found my 40th birthday to be fun because the cards are so funny.

I remember when making a poster about a book was pretty cutting edge instead of writing a 1-page report on a book.

Alice said...

Did you ever find the rhubarb?

Ann said...

Great to read about your family events. Around here, rhubarb is a non-issue. You can occasionally find a few stalks in the grocery, but people just don't cook with it much.

And the typewriter--reminds me of the old typewriter that used to be fun to play with, in Grandma K's basement!

Alice said...

The old Royal Typewriter looks very much like the one Dad had at the Grain Office. He could type pretty fast with two fingers.

Ada said...

What a great book report!! As Judy sais, nothing like the book reports in our day. Looks like they had a great time doing it.

I think the typewriter looks like some we had at good old Gridley High! Thanks for an interesting post.

Shelley S said...

I did not ever find the rhubarb. Who knows where it ended up -- or if it was even put in the bag. I learned to type on a manual typewriter at good old Gridley High School too, but it was a little newer than this one.

rk2 said...

I can't believe you learned to type on a manual typewriter. We had electric when I was in high school!

Also, you are always welcome to come get some rhubarb from my freezer in Texas as long as it lasts!

Crystal Klopfenstein said...

Welcome to 40! I loved the book report. My favorite pie is Strawberry Rhubarb - the combination is suburb and tastes entirely different than strawberry or rhubarb alone. I'll have to give you my recipe sometime.

Crystal Klopfenstein said...

Welcome to 40! I loved the book report. My favorite pie is Strawberry Rhubarb - the combination is suburb and tastes entirely different than strawberry or rhubarb alone. I'll have to give you my recipe sometime.