Thursday, March 20, 2014

Heiniger Update

Hello from the Heinigers! We stay pretty busy around here with home schooling, choir, swimming lessons, and co-op. Ethne is in 4th grade, Catie is in 1st, and Riley and Gavin are anxiously counting the days until they can start Kindergarten.

Ethne loves to read and write. Almost every day she works on a story, and has 50+ "books" finished. I love seeing this trait in her. We plan to focus a lot on creative writing next school year.

Catie has discovered she can read. At the beginning of the year, she was convinced it was too hard and was below grade level. Then we found the Mercy Watson series. Almost overnight she caught up, and in another month she was advanced. I'd now say she's reading at least a year above. It's fun hearing her read out loud; she constantly interrupts herself with commentary.

Riley is a force to be reckoned with. She rules her preschool class, her Sunday school class, her co-op class, and her siblings. Look for great things from her. She especially loves to sing and can really belt out power ballads and Sunday school songs.

Gavin is a high energy boy. He loves to climb, run, and jump. He's great at taking things apart and getting into trouble. He's also the first one to get all his chores done every day. He loves being a helper.

I'm training for my sixth marathon on April 26 in Champaign. This will be my third in six months, after which I plan to take a nice, long break from longer distances. I've set a personal best in my last two races and expect to do so again with this one. My running has improved a lot since I changed my diet. Who new my fuel source was holding me back so much?

Brett keeps busy at Caterpillar. His singing group Amazing Love will be headlining the Midwest Gospel Sing this year, an event I believe Uncle Cleve is helping organize. I may be biased, but every time they sing there I think they're the best act of the night. They are all talented individuals and have a talented leader getting the best from them.

Well, that's about all from us. Hopefully we'll have some fun updates later this year from our family trip to the Creation Museum and Brett's and my trip to Thailand to visit his brother and sister-in-law.

6 comments:

Nog Blog said...

It's always fun seeing your kids on Sundays. Catie and Reilly are looking so much alike, I have to look twice sometimes. A trip to Thailand sounds interesting. Keep us informed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. What are Brett's brother and wife doing in Thailand? My daughter, Kelsie, studied there for one semester a couple years ago, and Nathan's babysitter his first 3 years is from there, so we are interested in Thailand.

Ada said...

Sounds like you have a very busy life with those four energetic children. Good luck with your running. I enjoyed hearing about your activities.

Mama Runner said...

Angela, the "official" reason they're in Thailand is so Todd can study the Thai language and Joan can teach English. The real reason is to work with a church planting team. They plan to be there for 18 months before choosing a permanent missionary location.

rk2 said...

Thanks for the update. I get tired just thinking of all the activity in your home!!!

Ann said...

Love reading about your readers. It's always fun to see their little minds discover reading. Sounds like your in-laws are doing in Thailand the same thing that my son is doing in China.