Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Sunday morning in Lester, IA

 Anderson, Milan and Jesse in the baby room.
Milan and Jesse

Here is a small (less humorous) part of the "story."  Sunday morning, when I got to church, Brandon handed Milan to me and said that Maria wasn't there because she took Alice to the doctor.  Alice (3) had been sick all week-end with fever and cough.  Milan was not at all happy to leave Daddy, but when Daddy was out of sight, he was fine.  When it was time to go in, Jesse was on the bench just outside the sanctuary with Julia and Heidi.  I went to tell them it was time to go in, and I noticed that Jesse was crying.  I asked him what was the matter and he said, "I want Daddy!"  Daddy was walking up to the pulpit to preach and Jesse proceeded to cry so loudly it became a big wail.  I knew if I put Milan down or gave him to somebody else, he would join the chorus of tears.  Jesse's loudest cries were right when the congregation was silent in prayer just before the service.  Brandon could hear him on the pulpit and he thought it was Milan.  (This wasn't typical behavior for 5 year old Jesse.)

I managed to persuade Jesse to follow me into the baby room where I distracted him by reading him a book. We could hear Brandon preaching, so I told Jesse that even though we can't be with Daddy, we can listen to him, and Jesse was fine the rest of the morning.  At this point, I decided the best place for me to stay with the two boys was in the baby room.  Charity was in there with Anderson, so I got out my new smart phone and took these pictures.

Shortly before the service started, I was told that Matthew was also not there.  He was resting at somebody's house nearby because he wasn't feeling well.  About 11 am, I texted him, and he said he was doing better and would be coming for the afternoon wedding service.

Maria, Alice and Matthew were there in time for the wedding, and we all sat up front.  It was a beautiful service. ----Carol

8 comments:

Nog Blog said...

And probably nobody in the crowd knew what a morning you'd had! Sometimes we just have to go with the flow, don't we?

clevekath said...

It sounds like you did what A & J now say..."Just deal with it".
Thanks for the descriptive account of the Sunday morning and glad the ceremony went off well.

Perry said...

Very nice pictures. PERRY

Perry said...

Very nice pictures. PERRY

Perry said...

For some reason, I got published twice. I was only trying to add some newness to the EJK Blog, which is stuck on Lester, Iowa.

Perry said...

I heard that Cleve's left for Florida, and will take their time in motoring to that southern state. I am glad to be done with interstate mileage, having endured a long trip to Sioux Falls and back in the dead of winter -- but we were blessed with good roads, and safety from wintry weather.
PERRY

Perry said...

MORE: It was a historic, record-setting day for me. I like to read obituaries, and further like to observe what the deceased had been "avid" in. So, I say I hunt for avids! Today, I found seven avids in my avid-hunting, and this is a record for one day, eclipsing the previous record of six. It's an Avid Reading Enterprise (ARE).
Best to all,
PERRY

clevekath said...

Interesting! What are some of the more interesting "avids"? I, too, like to read of odd comments in obituaries. My 3 favorites are these:
1. of an old man.."He loved his grandchildren dearly and he proved it by teasing them relentlessly".
2. of another old man... "we all know that if Harold was involved in any organization or activity, he had to make sure he was the one in charge"
3. of a 24 year-old girl who died of cancer...."everyone loved her. She could out belch even the largest of men"