Saturday, January 11, 2014

Recent Happenings

This has been a very busy week, what with starting second semester and several other things going on. But I thought you might enjoy seeing this picture.  Mary Lee told me in December that she had something we had to do on a particular day--Tuesday, January 7--and it was for my birthday and Christmas.  It was very difficult to figure out what it might be.  My students offered up some interesting suggestions, such as Build-A-Bear, ice skating, and Gravitopia (an inside jumping-trampoline place)--to which I said it better not be that!!

Well, this is what it was.  A painting class!!  And it had to be that date because this was the subject to be painted that night--she knows how much I like birds, especially cardinals.  We went out to eat beforehand and all in all had a wonderful evening together.  It was one of the nicest presents, and most well-thought out, I have ever received.  It was an honor to paint alongside my artist daughter!

Speaking of wildlife, with Cleve's pictures in the previous post--last Saturday night, Mike, Mom, and I drove out to an area about 10 miles away where a rare owl for our area (a short-eared owl) had been spotted in the fields.  Mike and I had actually tried a couple of other times, but couldn't find it.  Well, that night, right at 5:00, we saw it, and it put on quite a show for us, swooping, diving, and landing on fence posts quite close to where we were watching from the car.  It was beautiful, and we were able to watch it for about 20 minutes as it stayed quite close by.  Unfortunately, no pictures due to dusk and a camera that wasn't any good in those light circumstances.  Mike said the next morning that every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was that beautiful bird.

I just heard from Andrew tonight that he is seeing the Yangtze River today.  He will be sending pics as he is also going to see the Three Gorges Dam, the largest dam in the world.  I asked him if he remembered reading "The Story of Ping" as a child, about the duck that lives on the Yangtze River.  We read that book over and over when the kids were small.  Who would have ever thought back then that one day he would actually get to see the Yangtze in person.

9 comments:

Ada said...

You did a great job on the painting. It was indeed a wonderful gift - nothing better than spending time with your daughter.

As I read your story about Andrew seeing the Yangtze River, I immediately thought about the Ping book that I used to read to our kids - especially Drake - when they were children. Interesting that your kids likes that book also.

Nog Blog said...

I'd say you are both artists. Very impressive!

Anonymous said...

I read Ping to my kids too. We always embellished in an interesting way, which all Christensen's have in their head immediately when thinking of Ping, but mom must not have wanted to share that!

Didn't Grandma K like cardinals too? I always like them too, because of her.

clevekath said...

Excellent paintings of the cardinals. Fit for framing, for sure. Angela, can you share the embellishment even if your mom won't?

Ada said...

Well, I didn't want to get vulgar on here, but at the end of the story when Ping got a spanking as he was late getting back on the boat, our last last words were "la la la la la Ping Buttt!! Just for the record, I got pretty tired of reading that book over and over and over . . . .

Alice said...

Enjoyed your post, Ann. What a nice birthday and Christmas present. I agree with Cleve. I would frame it if it were mine.
I can't wait until someone posts something about the big wedding today (including pictures).

Ann said...

Well, if my kids had known about that embellishment, they would have demanded it every time also!

Perry said...

What a fun thing to do with your daughter! The pictures are beautiful. ----Carol

Perry said...

I would love to post pictures, but last night and today I am having problems getting it to work.