Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday News

With today being the fiftieth anniversary of JFK's death, I am so glad that Ada, Judy, Rhoda, and I had the opportunity to go to the Texas Book Depository last summer.  It has given great perspective, and helped all of us to see exactly how the tragic event could have taken place.  The first picture is Dealey Plaza, and the second is the book depository building right before Dealey Plaza.  Seeing that spot is something everyone ought to try to do at some point in his life.


In other news, Andrew says from China:  "It's so cold but everyone says it is warm... They say "when winter comes it will be cold." I didn't know how much I hated snow until this blizzard...There's more snow on the ground right now that's fallen in the last few days than I have seen in my entire life combined."  He is in the northeast part of China, and it is going to get bitter before it is all over with!  

p.s. later in the day -- I forgot to mention that the central IL area has been greatly in our thoughts and prayers this past week what with the tragic tornado last Sunday.  We've not heard of any family injuries/property loss and are very thankful for that.

7 comments:

rk2 said...

There was a big ceremony at Dealey Plaza today--a ticketed event. Despite the cold and rain no one was allowed to take an umbrella for security reasons. They passed out plastic ponchos to all the guests.

Of course, this has been big on the news, but no one here has talked about the anniversary of the death and I'm amazed how many local people have never been to the 6th Floor Museum. A co-worker told me that schools don't do field trips there, "they take kids to the Mesquite rodeo but not to that museum."!!!

Yes, I think everyone should do the museum sometime in their life. And if you have any Klopfenstein blood I know of a pretty cheap motel for you. : )

clevekath said...

Yes, the Washington tornado was devastating. One can get plenty of photos and articles about it by Googling.
As for JFK's death, those of us over 55 can likely well recall where we were on 11/22/1963 when we heard the news. I was in my geometry class at Gridley High school (soph year)when the Principal came in to announce the shooting and the death. We students were in shock and some even started crying. Where were you? Perhaps you can comment here....

Nog Blog said...

I was in the Gridley Grade School in the sixth grade, I think. (I don't like math, so I am refusing right now to figure it out.)We went down into the cafeteria and the older classes were sitting there listening to the radio. We spent a lot of time at Grandma K's the next few days watching it all on her small TV in the living room. Later she got the book A Torch is Passed and it sat on the coffee table and I looked at it over and over.

rk2 said...

Since I was 6 1/2 weeks old I would guess I was sleeping. : )

I remember looking at A Torch is Passed both at home and at Grandma K's numerous times.

Ann said...

I remember reading A TORCH IS PASSED at Grandma's house, many times, also. I have a copy as well now.

Being only in kindergarten, I do not remember when JFK died. I do remember, however, watching the funeral with Mom while she was ironing; she was crying and I remember asking her why she was sad when she didn't like him as president. To which she of course answered that that didn't matter--it was a huge tragedy.

Alice said...

I was going to a dessert luncheon at Lois Aberle's. Ann Getz picked me up and as soon as I got in her car she told me she heard on the radio that the President was shot.
At the luncheon we watched TV continuously. We spent most of the week-end over at Ken's watching it all on TV.
Then on Sunday we were in Roanoke with the S.S. kids. We were on our way to somebody's house when we heard on the radio that Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald.

Ada said...

I was driving my car home from ISU when I heard on the radio that the President was shot. When I got home and went in the house, Mother was sitting in the living room crying as she watched the little "box" TV in the living room.