Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Aunt Mary Martin's Cookies - Pantagraph



Every year, Mom makes filled oatmeal cookies with date filling from this newspaper clipping in her recipe scrapbook.  Today she said she thought it ought to be on the blog, and I agreed.  The other recipes are for angel cookies and pinwheel date cookies.  The first part of the article reads as follows:

"Holidays are a time for old-fashioned cookies in the home of Mrs. Mary Martin of Gridley.  The oldest cookie recipe in the family is for a 1921 date-filled oatmeal cookie.  Angel cookies and pinwheel date cookies are also popular with the family."

This was printed in the Dec. 24, 1969, issue of the Pantagraph.   Here's a close-up of Aunt Mary.

7 comments:

Ada said...

What a nice picture of Aunt Mary. Brings back lots of memories. Thanks for posting.

clevekath said...

Aunt Mary had a huge yard (double-lot) when she lived across from EJK's and I mowed it all through high school for $4 each time. The highlight, however, was that I knew I'd also be getting at least 2 of her great COOKIES when I was finished! I don't recall for sure if they were oatmeal, but they were DELICIOUS.

LynnK said...

Well.....Cleve, you have triggered my memory. That yard was something else--especially when the moles were active! And we had the ole time push mowers. At least three hours time needed to do the job. If you got four bucks--inflation was already in play...I got 35 cents. But it was "Grandma & Aunt Mary". I look back and see the good training...'twas good for me.

Nog Blog said...

Our boys mowed for her and also pushed her snow, but it was in the little white house where she lived later. They always knew there would be cookies when they were done. That never changed.

clevekath said...

UL,you make me laugh! 35-cents?
Yes, I did have a power mower, at least but did have to push it. In the last year of mowing, Dad actually bought a riding mower -- one of the first ones in Gridley -- and was also used down at Gridley Grain Co. east of town. I also remember Aunt Mary walking over to Grandma's to discuss church people and things.
Two of her favorite expressions which I loved to hear her say, were "Well, forevermore" and "Can you IMAGINE?"

rk2 said...

I can hear Aunt Mary say "Well, forever more."

Eric - Retta said...

Yes, I remember the cookies, especially after scooping her snow in the little white house. It didn't matter how early, she always had cookies for us. Aunt Minerva used to have M&M's every time too!