Monday, July 1, 2013

Funny story from today at church.
While at a consignment shop in Michigan City, Indiana last week I bought a cute pair of pre-owned pink Nine West wedge shoes. I was there on an annual girls' trip with Gridley-ites Jodie Schlipf, Jamie Schlipf, and Christa Gramm Meister. I was excited to wear the shoes today to church. While sitting at the lunch table, it felt like something was stuck to the bottom of my shoe. I looked down to see the entire wedge bottom of my left shoe hanging on by a thread! I took it off & hobbled down the back staircase to my Sunday School room. I tried to glue it in place, but it wasn't working. So I had no choice but to hold the shoe together with 2 dinky red rubber bands.  Then during the afternoon service, I looked down to see my right shoe was doing the exact same thing! After the service, I slowly made my way down the aisle to avoid having the right wedge rip completely rip off & tripping me. I looked like a disabled person, hanging on to the pews and picking my feet up high with each step! I went into the bathroom stall to utilize one of the two rubber bands for my now-defunct right shoe. As I entered the stall, it totally ripped off & the right wedge bottom went flying across the tile. I quickly grabbed it, but not before another lady saw it bewilderedly. So now I had 1 skinny rubber band holding each shoe together. I headed out of the bathroom quickly, but the wedges were sliding around & clapping with the pink tops & with these woefully ill-working rubber bands. So I had to take them both off & walk out of church & through the parking lot barefoot! Needless to say, the shoes went into the garbage can as soon as I entered my garage.
Only me (or maybe Shelley)!
Crystal

8 comments:

Perry said...

Oh my! Who would ever guess that one needs to wear "new" shoes around the house first? ---Carol

mim said...

At Lynn's and my wedding, Betty Frey Schumacher, maid of honor, and I were headed up the back stairs in the former two story Princeville AC church for the beginning of the wedding ceremony. I stepped on a floor register at the first step and off came the heel on my shoe. Wow! In the momentary panic, Betty whacked the shoe on to the heel and all was well. And I didn't walk into the wedding minus one heel. We didn't have all the consternation Shelley had and we didn't need a rubber band!

Ada said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ada said...

This story is sooo funny and began my morning with a good laugh. Next time you buy used shoes, you better check the soles carefully. Hope you didn't burn your feet as you walked across the parking lot.

Alice said...

What an ordeal you had, Crystal.
Years ago Keith and I were shopping at Marshall Fields in Chicago and one of my heels got caught in the escalator and ripped it off. Needless to say, I had to buy a new pair. I am wondering now why did I go shopping with high heels? Oh well, one way to get a new pair of shoes.

rk2 said...

This made me laugh especially picturing you hobbling out of church.

Nog Blog said...

I think I would have gone home after the first shoe fell apart and sat on the couch with a big iced tea! You were admirably persistent!

Shelley S said...

Oh Crystal that story made me laugh! And yes, it does sound like something that would happen to me. Ha ha!