Friday, October 26, 2012

Three days in Oklahoma City

Some of you may remember the Ergenbrights and the Warners that came to the big K reunions Grabill, IN.  They invite Lynn to their reunions for the K branch that settled in Oklahoma years ago.   When my dear husband wouldn't go without me and with a little prodding from our daughters, I flew there with him.  On the plane I
had an interesting chat with a young India Indian medical school student.   He posed some challenging questions to me as a Christian.  

Saturday was spent going over genealogy records.  Thankfully Carol Warner's sister was there and we had a delightful time together.   One of the highlights was the heart rending experience of going to the National Memorial for the 168 victims of the Timothy McVey bombing of the Murrah Federal building in 1995.  A Field of  Chairs on one end of the plot has a chair for each victim; the number of chairs in each row is equal to the number of those killed on that floor.  Nineteen chairs were smaller to represent the nineteen children that died in the bombing.  The name of a victim was engraved in the translucent base of each chair.  We will long remember that sobering sight.
And as most of you will agree, the best part of any trip is arriving home again!

5 comments:

MaryM said...

I sure hope I have half your energy when I'm your age . . . wish I had it now! : ) I'm so thankful for the continued desire you both exhibit to learn, grow, and share in people's lives.

Perry said...

I'm glad for you that you can make these trips. It keeps life interesting. ---Carol

Ada said...

Sounds like you had an enjoyable trip and visit with distant cousins. Wasnt the Warners who came to Gridley with you one time?

mim said...

Ada, you are thinking of William and Carol Klopfenstein from Iowa.

And, Mary, you overestimate our energy. Yes, we are grateful to be as active as we are but the years are taking a toll.

Perry said...

I, too, marvel at your energies and inclination(s) to travel.