Friday, July 20, 2012

COOL WAVE

We finally got a little reprieve from the heat - it's been hanging around 80 all day today. Still too hot to go out, but not quite so oppressive. It's a good thing I have two quilts I've been working on so I spend a lot of time in the basement where it's nice and cool.

We went to Nathan's ballgame Tuesday evening, and yes we sat in the 100 degree temp to watch him play. Right after I took this picture, he hit a good fly ball just past second base and ran as fast as he could to first base. They have an unusual method of playing for the first two years: the team coach pitches and keeps pitching until the child hits the ball, they can only run one base at a time, they continue until every child on the team has batted, then they change to the other team. All the kids on a team are placed somewhere on the field while their team is in the field. It's surprising how many can hit the ball, but catching a fly or a ground ball and throwing it to the proper base is lacking. It's fun to watch their excitement.

I think my hibiscus plant loves the hot, humic weather. Today it has 9 beautiful large flowers. Yes, the others are hiding on the other side of the plant and I didn't want to bore you with two pictures of the same plant SOOO trust me, there are 9 flowers!

I didn't think my Rose of Sharon would bloom this year as it was damaged with frost in the Spring, but yesterday we noticed 2 small blooms and look at it today! I believe these flowers are a promise that God hasn't forgotten us and there will be brighter days ahead.

Just a picture of our tan grass. As you can see, Jerry waters the trees about twice a week so we do have a little bit of green grass. :) He is pretty bored sitting around here all summer with no grass to mow, and it's too hot to do anything else outside. He does volunteer 2 or 3 days a week at Meadows. He also had cataract surgery in both eyes and is enjoying a bright new world. He's so cute with his narrow little reading glasses - hmmm wonder if he'd let me take a picture . . . :)

3 comments:

clevekath said...

It's been a tough year for flowers in Peoria, IL. this year. Several re-plantings and, of course, lots of watering! Ada, you seem to have a green thumb. And Jerry's yard always looks great!
Cleve

Shelley S said...

I enjoyed your pictures. The baseball explanation made me chuckle! It's so fun to watch them at that age. In our park district, once you move out of the 'Coach Pitch' league, the kids start pitching and that's when it really gets entertaining.

At our first game one of the other parents explained it to me this way: If the ball is anywhere close to the plate the batter should swing at it. Most of the time it will not be, and you just pray that no one gets hit by a pitch (although that happened at least 3 times a game). Most batters will get a walk, and then they might as well just jog on over to 3rd base - because the coach will have them steal 2nd base, the catcher will try to throw them out and the ball will go somewhere other than 2nd base, enabling the runner to continue on to 3rd base. That's the way most of the runs were scored too. It's really quite comical, but a good learning experience in team work and patience!

rk2 said...

Shelley, that's funny.

When an unnamed nephew was playing baseball and in his first year of pitching I asked him if he struck out any batters in his game that evening. "One." Then jokingly I asked if he'd hit any batters. "Three". Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. I'd be scared as a parent to watch the first and second years of kid pitch and I'd be even more scared if I was the batter!!! I suppose the only good thing is that they don't throw that hard at that age to hurt too badly. (At least I hope so!)